(Last Updated On: June 11, 2023)
This is a super simple recipe for frozen hush puppies that are cooked in the air fryer. They taste amazing, but the best part is dipping these crispy hush puppies in honey, ketchup, mustard, or Chick-fil-A sauce. My favorite is dipping them in honey.
Sweet corn hushpuppies make a great side dish and pair well with a variety of dishes. A few popular options are fried seafood, pulled pork, fried pork chops, chili, baked salmon, fish sticks, coleslaw, and baked beans.
🍴 Key Ingredients
- A bag of Great Value frozen traditional hushpuppies – or your favorite brand
- Your choice of dipping sauce – optional
👩🍳 How to Make Air Fryer Frozen Hush Puppies (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Preheat the Air Fryer
Set the air fryer temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit if your air fryer needs to be preheated.
Keep in mind that cook times depend on the varying degree of heat from one air fryer to another. For example, a Ninja Foodi or a Cosori air fryer can cook differently, so depending on the brand and size of your air fryer, you may need to adjust the temperature and cooking time.
Step 2. Line Basket with Parchment Paper & Place Hush Puppies
Line the bottom of the basket with a sheet of parchment paper with holes in it. If you don’t have the specified parchment paper, spray the basket with cooking spray.
Arrange the frozen hushpuppies in the fryer basket in a single layer so they don’t touch each other. We were able to get 16 hush puppies in our basket. There are about 42 hushpuppies in the bag, so you can do a second batch if need be. You should always clean the bottom of the air fryer basket before doing a second batch.
Step 3. Put the Basket in the Air Fryer
Place the basket in the hot air fryer, but be careful not to burn yourself. The best thing to do for your hands, wrists, and arms to avoid any burns is to wear heat-resistant oven mitts.
Cook the frozen hush puppies at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip them over halfway through the cooking time using heat-resistant tongs.
Note: The instructions on the back of the hush puppy package say to cook the hush puppies in the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 minutes. We air fried our hush puppies for 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for extra crispiness, flipping them halfway through the cooking process. For the best results, keep an eye on the frozen hushpuppies while they are cooking in the air fryer. For food safety reasons, the internal temperature should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 4. Serve Alone or with Dipping Sauce
Enjoy these delicious hush puppies as a snack or a simple side dish with your favorite dipping sauce. Some excellent dipping sauces are tartar sauce, yellow mustard, remoulade sauce, and Dijon mustard. Honey, honey mustard, honey butter, hot sauce, spicy aioli, and salad dressing are some tasty dipping choices too.
✨ Frozen Hush Puppy Recipe Variations
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top of the hush puppies.
- Some folks don’t have an air fryer, so in that case, you can bake them instead of air frying them. On the back of the hush puppies package the instructions say to bake the frozen hush puppies on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 to 7 minutes. Then turn them over and bake for 7 more minutes, or until done. It also says you can cook the frozen hush puppies in a deep fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 minutes.
- When making homemade hush puppies, oftentimes chopped green onions or jalapeno peppers are added to the hush puppy’s wet batter. The hush puppies we are making today are premade and sold in the frozen section of grocery stores, but you can chop a few green onions and jalapeno peppers and scatter them on the hush puppies after you are done air frying them.
Some of the ingredients listed on the back of the hush puppy package include degermed white corn meal, enriched wheat flour, soybean oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese. Inside each hush puppy are kernels of sweet corn.
If you have any leftover hush puppies, put them in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about two or three days. After two or three days, the hush puppies won’t taste very good anymore. Reheat them in the air fryer, on the center rack of the oven, or in the microwave for a few minutes until heated through.
Hush puppies can be eaten alone as a snack or as a side dish with seafood dishes. Baked salmon, cod, prawns, or shrimp are some great choices. They also go great with southern-style meals, barbeque, comfort food, and fried or smoked meats.
💡 Final Thoughts
These delicious air fryer hush puppies are easy to prepare and taste great as a side dish with many entrées such as seafood or barbecue food. With sweet corn added to the hush puppies, it gives them a slightly sweet and savory flavor.
Air frying these hush puppies until they are golden brown gives them a crispy crust on the outside with a soft and fluffy inside. They are also perfect finger foods for toddlers, or tasty snacks while watching TV, and so convenient for potlucks or picnics.
💑 More Air Fryer Recipes You Will Love
- Frozen Air Fryer Tater Tots (Crispy) – These tater tots are crispy and delicious when cooked in the air fryer and sprinkled with Johnny’s seasoning salt for extra flavor.
- Hash Browns in the Air Fryer (Frozen) – These store-bought frozen hash browns cook up in just a few minutes in the air fryer. The taste is amazing. Crispy on the outside, but still soft on the inside. They are a real treat for a quick breakfast, tasty lunch, or as a side dish for dinner.
- Pizza Rolls in the Air Fryer – These crispy pizza rolls cooked in the air fryer are a perfect party snack or a quick lunch when you don’t have much time on your hands. They taste extra delicious when dipped in pizza sauce.
🗂️ Recipe Card
Frozen Hush Puppies in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Parchment Paper or cooking spray
- 1 bag Hush puppies
- Dipping sauce (your choice – optional)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put a sheet of parchment paper with holes in it in the air fryer basket or spray the basket with cooking spray.
- Arrange hush puppies in the basket in a single layer.
- This is optional – spray some cooking spray on the hush puppies if you want them to be extra crunchy.
- Cook the hush puppies in the air fryer for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, flipping them over halfway through the cooking time. Keep an eye on the hush puppies while they are cooking in the air fryer in case you need to adjust the cooking time. Make sure to wear heat-resistant oven mitts and use heat-resistant tongs when turning the hush puppies over.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜