(Last Updated On: August 16, 2022)
This instant pot chili recipe is the best. Just about everyone loves chili, and for those real chili lovers, this hot and spicy chili is for you.
Chili is the perfect dinner to warm up the tummy on a gloomy day, but chili isn’t just for the wintertime, we have chili all through the summer too.
What’s in this Chili Recipe?
This chili recipe has ground beef in it along with 4 different kinds of beans, diced tomatoes, and lots of spices, This chili is hot because of the cayenne pepper added, but it’s only 1 teaspoon so you can add more cayenne pepper or less. The level of hotness depends on how much cayenne pepper is used in the recipe.
We like to add cheese and corn chips to our chili, but you can add whatever toppings sound good to you. This chili is also good by itself without adding any toppings at all. It is a much healthier alternative to eat this chili without chips and cheese.
This homemade chili recipe is full of flavor with just the right amount of seasonings to make it hot and spicy, but not overwhelming. It also has a variety of different kinds of beans added, which provides lots of protein and fiber to your diet.
Key Ingredients for Instant Pot Chili
- 2 pounds of extra lean grass-fed ground beef
- 1 can of dark red kidney beans
- 1 can of light red kidney beans
- 2 cans of black beans
- 1 can of chili beans
- 3 cans of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can of chili ready tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
Step-By-Step Instant Pot Chili Instructions With Photos
An instant pot is used for this chili recipe, but you can make this same chili recipe in a big pot on the stove. Set the instant pot on sauté, it’s the bottom left sauté button on the instant pot. No timer set, just saute.
Browning the Ground Beef
Put the ground beef in the instant pot and saute on high until there is no pink showing in the ground beef. Note: You would get the same results while frying the ground beef in a frying pan on the stove.
The photo below is what the ground beef looks like after it has been browned. No pink is showing. Drain any excess fat (liquid) from the ground beef. It is now time to add the other ingredients.
Add the kidney beans, chili beans, black beans, and diced tomatoes together with the ground beef. Stir the ingredients together. If you want to, you can also add any of your favorite beans to the chili at this time.
Then add 1/4 cup chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar together with the child mixture. Stir the ingredients. After that, add 1/2 cup of water, but do not stir the ingredients after adding the water.
Put the lid on the instant pot, then pressurize it, and press the manual button, setting it for 11 minutes.
After the 11 minutes are up, release the pressure on the instant pot and remove the lid. The chili is now ready to eat. If you aren’t ready to serve dinner yet, put the lid back on the instant pot, but don’t pressurize it. Press the slow cook button and let it slow cook until you are ready to eat.
We put a layer of cooked white rice in our bowl first, then the chili, and then sprinkle the top with sharp cheddar cheese.
We have crackers or corn chips on the side, and of course, some Mezzetta golden Greek peperoncini medium heat peppers (not shown). To cool yourself off after all that hot chili, try our homemade ice cream for dessert.
Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds extra lean grass fed ground beef
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can light red kidney beans
- 1 can chili beans
- 2 cans black beans
- 3 cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can chili ready tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Put the ground beef in the instant pot. Saute on high until no pink is showing in the ground beef.
- Add the kidney beans, chili beans, black beans, and diced tomatoes to the ground beef. Mix together.
- Add the chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and brown sugar. Mix together.
- Add the water. Do not stir.
- Put the lid on the instant pot, pressurize it, and press the manual button, setting it for 11 minutes.
- After 11 minutes, release the pressure on the instant pot and remove the lid.
- It is now ready to serve.
- You can use your preference for ground beef.
- You can add or substitute any of your favorite choices of beans.
- Sprinkle some sharp cheddar cheese over the top of your bowl of chili for extra flavor.
- If you don’t have an instant pot, you can make this same chili recipe in a big pot on the stove.