(Last Updated On: August 18, 2022)
This tater tots recipe, cooked in the air fryer, is so easy to make. The tater tots come out crispy and delicious. Seasoned with Johnny’s seasoning salt is the way to go for extra flavor, it’s fantastic tasting on these cute little air-fried potato puffs! 🙂
🥔 Key Ingredients
- 28-ounce bag of Ore-Ida extra crispy tater tots™ (or your favorite brand)
- Johnny’s seasoning salt
👩🍳 How to Make Tater Tots in Air Fryer (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Preheat the Air Fryer
The first step is to preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Since all air fryers are not the same, yours may not require preheating. If so, skip this step.
Step 2. Arrange Tater Tots in Basket
While the air fryer is heating up, it is important to spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, otherwise, they can stick to the basket. Take the 28-ounce bag of frozen tater tots out of the freezer, then place them on the basket in a single layer. There is no need to thaw first.
Note: We were able to get the 28-ounce bag of tater tots in our basket, but if you have a smaller air fryer, then you will have to do a second batch.
Step 3. Sprinkle on the Seasoning
Lightly sprinkle a bit of Johnny’s seasoning salt on top of the tater tots, or you can use any of your favorite seasonings.
Step 4. Cook the Tater Tots
Put the basket in the preheated air fryer set at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook tater tots for about 9 minutes, then turn them over in the basket. Let the tater tots cook for another 5 minutes, which makes the total cooking time 14 minutes. The cooking time may vary if you have a larger or smaller air fryer than we do.
In 1953, tater tots were born by the Ore-Ida founders. How did this happen? Well, they wanted to use the leftover pieces of cut-up potatoes from french fries for something other than feeding the potato pieces to cattle, which wasn’t profitable for them.
So they took the grated (or shredded) pieces of the potatoes and mixed them with flour, salt, vegetable oil, and seasonings. Then the mixture was fed into a machine that pushed the mixture through holes and sliced it off, thus forming the shape of the famous tater tot. The founders deep-fried them, packaged them, and then put them in the freezer. The rest is history.
Tater tots can be served as a side dish with so many meals, such as turkey sliders, pulled pork nachos, Philly cheesesteak, or chicken recipes such as chicken enchiladas and chicken fajitas. Also, they go great with beef tacos. Tartar sauce, cheese dips, ketchup, mustard, or any of your favorite dipping sauces go great with tater tots.
💡 Final Thoughts
Air fryer tater tots are the best. Soft on the inside, and oh so crispy on the outside. When you need to make a quick side dish, these air fried tater tots are the perfect choice when in a hurry, taking only about 14 minutes to cook.
Tater tots go great with baked salmon, cheeseburgers, or beef enchiladas. Tater tots are in the frozen foods section of the grocery store. If you love air fryer recipes, try our Turkey Bacon. The bacon comes out perfectly crispy and is so delicious.
😋🔪 More Recipes You Will Love
Air Fryer Recipes
- Turkey Bacon – Crispy turkey bacon is so easy to make and tastes fantastic.
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges – A quick and easy way to make crispy air fryer potato wedges with added seasonings that taste amazing.
- Air Fryer Biscuit Donuts – Super quick, so fun to make, and the powdered sugar icing and sprinkles make these biscuit donuts amazing.
- Bacon in the Air Fryer (Crispy) – Crispy bacon with no messy splattering grease on the kitchen stove. Only 15 minutes of cooking time, and so tasty
- Best Mac and Cheese – Creamy, crunchy, and made with 3 different kinds of cheeses. So delicious.
- Tartar Sauce – Quick, simple, and only five ingredients – mayonnaise, mustard, onions, sweet relish, and parsley flakes. Yum!
- Mashed Potatoes – A creamy and buttery mashed potato recipe… YUM!! The perfect side dish to so many entrées.
Tater Tots in Air Fryer (Frozen)
- 1 bag Ore-Ida tater tots – or your favorite brand (28 ounces)
- Johnny's seasoning salt – or your favorite seasonings (sprinkle on)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Place the tater tots on the air fryer basket in a single layer. Sprinkle some Johnny's seasoning salt over the top of the tater tots.
- Cook for 9 minutes, turn over, then cook for 5 more minutes for a total of 14 minutes.
- We used Ore-Ida tater tots, but any brand will do.
- You can dip your tater tots in tasty sauces and dips, such as ketchup, tartar sauce, mustard, or cheese dips.
- You can use any of your favorite seasonings you prefer.
- You may have to adjust the cooking time if you have a smaller air fryer.
- We were able to put the whole 28-ounce bag of tater tots in our basket, but you might have to do two batches if your air fryer is smaller.