(Last Updated On: May 26, 2022)
Noodles with scrambled eggs are exactly that, cooked pasta noodles that are fried, then smothered in scrambled eggs. This is an old-time favorite recipe that my mother cooked for us kids when we would come home from school for lunch. It was one of our favorite lunches. There were five of us kids, plus a few neighbor kids would come for lunch too.
Of course, noodles with scrambled eggs can be served for breakfast too, but I’m sure my mom didn’t have much time to cook during the morning. It was enough for her to get all of us kids out the door in time for school. She was a very busy woman for sure, and I don’t know how she did it all, but she did!
Key Ingredients for Noodles with Scrambled Eggs
- 1 cup of uncooked small shells (macaroni)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of butter for frying pan (not shown)
Step-By-Step Noodles with Scrambled Eggs Instructions with Photos
1. Prepare the Small Shells
We used small shells but you can use whatever your favorite pasta noodles may be. First, bring a pot of water to a full boil, then add the small shells, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat to medium-high. The water should continue to boil, but not overflow the pot.
We cooked the small shells for about 9 minutes, then drained the water in a colander, but did not rinse the shells in cold water. Whatever pasta shells you choose, read the product label on the back of the packaging for the cooking instructions.
2. Get the Frying Pan Ready
Put 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan. Turn the heat on high and start melting the butter. As soon as the butter starts melting, turn the heat to medium-high.
3. Add Small Shells to the Butter
Add the cooked small shells to the frying pan together with the butter.
4. Brown the Small Shells
Brown the small shells in the frying pan on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until slightly browned. Then set aside for a few minutes while we prepare the eggs in the next step.
5. Prepare the Eggs
Put 6 eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Beat the eggs with a fork. Then add 2 tablespoons of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt together with the beaten eggs.
6. Add Eggs to the Small Shells
At this time, put the frying pan with the slightly browned pasta shells back on the stove on medium heat. Pour the beaten egg mixture into the frying pan together with the slightly browned pasta shells, then scramble the eggs.
7. Scrambled the Eggs
Continue to scramble the eggs together with the pasta shells until the eggs are done to your liking. It takes about 5 to 6 minutes or so for the eggs to be done, give or take a few minutes.
8. Ready-To-Eat Noodles with Scrambled Eggs
While the eggs are cooking, chop them with a spatula and mix them with the small shells.
Kids love scrambled eggs, and they love eating pasta noodles, so for their next breakfast or lunch, try putting the two together for them. Serve with buttered toast together with fresh fruit.
Noodles with Scrambled Eggs
Prepare the Pasta Noodles
- Choose your pasta noodles, we used small shells.
- Cook as directed on the package.
- After pasta noodles are cooked, drain the water out in a colander, but don't rinse the shells in cold water.
The Frying Pan
- Start melting the butter in a frying pan on high heat. Turn the heat to medium-high as soon as the butter starts melting.
- Add the cooked small shells to the frying pan with the butter.
- Brown the cooked small shells on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until slightly browned. Set aside.
The Egg Mixture
- Beat the 6 eggs in a medium-sized bowl with a fork.
- Add the milk, salt. and pepper to the beaten eggs.
Scramble the Eggs
- Put the frying pan with the browned pasta shells back on the stove on medium heat.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture in with the browned pasta shells, then scramble the eggs.
- Continue to scramble the eggs, mixing and chopping them with the pasta shells until the eggs are done to your liking. We did about 5 to 6 minutes.
- One cup of uncooked pasta shells makes two cups cooked.
- Noodles with scrambled eggs go great with buttered toast and fresh fruit.
- Tastes great served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.