(Last Updated On: April 20, 2023)
Noodles with scrambled eggs are exactly that, cooked pasta noodles that are fried, then smothered in scrambled eggs. This is an old-time favorite recipe that my mother cooked for us kids when we would come home from school for lunch. It was one of our favorite lunches. There were five of us kids, plus a few neighbor kids would come for lunch too.
Of course, noodles with scrambled eggs can be served for breakfast too along side some toast, sausage links and bacon, but I’m sure my mom didn’t have much time to cook during the morning. It was enough for her to get all of us kids out the door in time for school. She was a very busy woman for sure, and I don’t know how she did it all, but she did!
🍴 Key Ingredients
- 1 cup of uncooked small shells (macaroni)
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of table salt (or sea salt if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon of butter for frying pan (not shown)
👩🍳 How to Make Noodles with Scrambled Eggs (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
1. Prepare the Small Shells
We used small pasta shells but you can use whatever your favorite noodles are. Some good choices are elbow macaroni, rotini, ditalini, fusilli, or orecchiette.
Bring a pot of water to a full boil. Then add the pasta shells to the boiling water, stirring constantly. After that, reduce the heat to medium-high. The water should continue to boil, but not overflow the pot.
We cooked our noodles for about 9 minutes, just a little more than al dente style. Al dente is pasta that is cooked a little on the firm side. I like my pasta cooked soft, but not overcooked or mushy. Whatever pasta or macaroni you choose, read the product label on the back of the packaging for the cooking instructions.
After the noodles are cooked, dump them into a colander over the sink and let the water drain out. But do not rinse the shells in cold water. Leave the pasta noodles in the colander or put them in a bowl while we go to the next step.
2. Get the Frying Pan Ready
Put 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan. A nonstick pan works best. Turn the heat to medium-high heat and start melting the butter. As soon as the butter starts melting, which doesn’t take long at all, turn the burner to medium heat.
3. Add the Cooked Pasta Shells to the Butter
Dump the cooked shells out of the colander or bowl and into the frying pan together with the butter.
4. Brown the Pasta Shells
Brown the small shells in the frying pan on medium heat for about 7 minutes or so until lightly browned. Then set the frying pan aside for a few minutes while we prepare the eggs in the next step.
5. Prepare the Eggs
Put 6 eggs in a medium bowl. Beat the eggs with a fork. Then add 2 tablespoons of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt together with the beaten eggs.
6. Add the Beaten Eggs to the Small Shells
At this time, put the frying pan with the lightly browned pasta shells back on the stove. Pour the beaten egg mixture into the frying pan together with the lightly browned pasta shells, then continue to scramble the eggs over medium heat.
7. Scrambled the Eggs
Continue to scramble the eggs together with the pasta shells until the eggs are done to your liking. It only takes about 5 to 6 minutes or so for the eggs to be done, give or take a few minutes.
8. Chop the Fried Eggs
While the eggs are cooking, chop them with a spatula and mix them with the small shells.
🌟 Recipe Variations
If you prefer to do so, you can add different seasonings and ingredients to this recipe. I haven’t tried any of these, but the suggestions below sound good to me. So the next time I make noodles with scrambled eggs, I am going to try them, not all at once though. 🙂
- Sprinkle some red pepper flakes along with some green onions or spring onions over the top of the noodles and eggs before serving.
- Crumble a few potato chips on top of the noodles and eggs, or just eat the potato chips on the side.
- Try sprinkling some additional seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, or Italian seasoning on them.
- Toss some cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese over the top of the noodles and eggs right before serving to make it a cheesy egg noodles dish.
- Use olive oil or sesame oil instead of butter.
- Toss a diced bell pepper in the frying pan. Red, orange, or yellow bell peppers sounds wonderful!
- Try adding some cooked ground beef or cooked chicken breasts to the recipe.
You can freeze noodles with scrambled eggs, but this is a good question as to whether you should or not. I have never put any leftovers in the freezer because we don’t have any leftovers, so I am not sure how they would be after they are thawed. My opinion is they won’t taste as fresh after being thawed. The eggs can be rubbery tasting after reheating them and the noodles harder or drier, not as moist and tender.
If you have any leftover noodles with scrambled eggs, put them in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a couple of days. Reheat them in the microwave to your desired warmth.
💭 Final Thoughts for this Egg Noodle Dish
This recipe is perfect all year round – special occasions are not necessary! Kids love scrambled eggs, and they love eating pasta, so for their next breakfast, lunch, or even dinner, try putting the two together for a wonderful recipe for them. This recipe is so easy and does not require any special equipment. It is a win both for you and the kids! Serve with buttered toast together with fresh fruit and a side of cottage cheese.
If you want more pasta ideas to cook for family dinners, try our mac and cheese recipe, our amazing instant pot spaghetti, delicious lasagna, or tortellini pasta salad with corn salsa. Pasta meals are a great way to get empty tummies feeling full!
🥰 More Noodle Recipes with You Will Love
We have a few more delicious recipes we want to share with you that we think you will enjoy.
- Chicken and Noodle Casserole (With Red Peppers) – The next time you want to make an easy recipe or a quick meal, you must try this chicken and noodle casserole. About 45 minutes until dinner time. It is so good!
- Easy Chicken and Broccoli Lasagna Recipe – This is a yummy dish your whole family will love. Homemade alfredo sauce from butter, minced garlic, heavy cream, black pepper, and grated parmesan cheese. Then layers of the sauce, lasagna noodles, shredded rotisserie chicken, chopped broccoli, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Easy Chicken Alfredo Linguine – With butter, minced garlic, cream cheese, milk, and parmesan cheese, then mixed with linguine pasta and shredded chicken. Easy to make in about 30 minutes.
📄 Recipe Card
Noodles with Scrambled Eggs
Prepare the Pasta Noodles
- Choose your pasta noodles, we used small shells.
- Cook as directed on the package.
- After the pasta noodles are cooked, drain the water out in a colander, but don't rinse the shells in cold water.
The Frying Pan
- Start melting the butter in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Turn the heat to medium as soon as the butter starts melting.
- Add the cooked small shells to the frying pan with the butter.
- Brown the cooked small shells on medium heat for about 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
The Egg Mixture
- Beat the eggs in a medium-sized bowl with a fork.
- Add the milk, salt. and pepper to the beaten eggs.
Scramble the Eggs
- Put the frying pan with the browned pasta shells back on the stove on medium heat.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture in with the browned pasta shells, then scramble the eggs.
- Continue to scramble the eggs, mixing and chopping them with the pasta shells until the eggs are done to your liking. We did about 5 to 6 minutes.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜