(Last Updated On: December 23, 2022)
Here we have an easy recipe for turkey sliders on sweet Hawaiian rolls, and you won’t believe how quick they are to make, yet taste so delicious! With only 5 ingredients, you will have these baked turkey sliders ready to serve in less than 30 minutes. So easy!
We love these sliders with potato chips and potato salad. Or turkey sliders with a lettuce salad and mac and cheese is an easy dinner to make for the family. You can also serve turkey sliders with fresh vegetables alongside a baked potato.
🙋 What is a Turkey Slider Anyway?
Turkey sliders are toasty mini sandwiches. They are quick to make with simple ingredients. Deli-sliced turkey breast and slices of provolone cheese are nestled inside soft Hawaiian sweet rolls. The rolls are then brushed with a garlic powder butter sauce and baked in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes to a light golden brown color with melted cheese oozing out.
🥪 Key Ingredients
- 12 King’s Hawaiian dinner rolls
- 12 ounces of sliced deli turkey breast
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
👩🍳 How to Make Turkey Sliders (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2. Line Cookie Sheet with Aluminum Foil, Cut, and Place Rolls
Place a piece of aluminum foil across the top of the baking sheet. Cut each of the Hawaiian rolls lengthwise in half. Place the bottom part of the rolls on the baking pan all touching each other. Set the tops of the rolls aside for now.
Tip: Take the package of Hawaiian rolls out of the package as is, in other words, without pulling them apart, leave them all hooked together. Then, place your hand across the top to hold them in place, then slice the tops off lengthwise (horizontally) all at the same time. A serrated bread knife works well.
Note: If this seems a bit harder to do, go ahead and take the rolls out of the package and cut them individually if that would be easier for you to do.
Step 3. Put Turkey on the Bottom Part of the Rolls
With 12 ounces of deli-sliced turkey breast, put a couple of layers of turkey evenly over the rolls that are on the baking sheet.
Note: You can use turkey deli meat, shaved (really thin) deli turkey breast, or if you have any leftover Thanksgiving turkey or chicken from a previous meal.
Step 4. Add Provolone Cheese
Lay 6 pieces of provolone cheese across the top of the turkey breast overlapping each one.
Step 5. Place the Tops Over the Bottom of the Rolls
Place the top half of the rolls across the top of the provolone cheese.
Step 6. Make a Melted Butter Sauce with Garlic Powder
Put 1 tablespoon of butter in a small bowl that is safe for the microwave. Then place the butter into the microwave and melt butter for 20 seconds.
Take the butter out of the microwave and then add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder together with the melted butter. Mix the butter mixture well into a buttery sauce of garlic and butter.
Note: Keep watching the butter in the microwave since all microwaves have different power levels of heat. Some microwaves can produce hotter heat than others. We do not want to burn the butter.
Step 7. Brush and Bake
With a basting brush, lightly brush the garlic and melted butter sauce across the top of the rolls.
Step 8. Put the Turkey Sliders in the Oven
Bake – Place the Hawaiian rolls into the oven and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 18 minutes. Bake until the cheese melts and the tops of the rolls are lightly browned. Remove the baking pan from the oven, then cut the turkey sliders apart. Keep an eye on them while they are in the oven.
Note: We like the tops of our rolls a bit on the crunchy side, but if you prefer the tops of the rolls to be a little bit softer, cover them with aluminum foil, then remove the aluminum foil during the last 5 minutes of baking.
✨ Recipe Variations
The different options for these meat sliders are endless.
- Put bacon bits inside of the turkey slider, Or how about mustard? I love mustard. If you love mustard too, these Hawaiian roll turkey sliders would be even better with some mustard spread on the inside of them. Or even better yet, put a squirt of your favorite mustard, whether it’s Dijon mustard or plain yellow mustard, on your plate, then dip the sandwich into the mustard.
- You can also lightly sprinkle any of your favorite seasonings in or over the top, for example, cayenne pepper, coarse ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, onion powder or onion flakes, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds.
Change Out the Meat
- Switch out the meat and add your favorite meat such as shredded chicken, or deli ham, instead of turkey. Or you can put both turkey and ham together. You can also use any leftover Thanksgiving turkey for these sandwiches. What a delicious way to use Thanksgiving leftovers.
- Turkey Swiss sliders would also be a great option, using Swiss cheese instead of provolone cheese.
- You can also use your favorite cheese. Maybe Havarti cheese, gouda, mild or sharp cheddar cheese, Colby or pepper jack, or even white cheddar cheese sounds delicious.
- Make cheese layers. Swiss on top of sharp cheddar cheese, or Colby stacked on top of pepper jack.
Some side dishes that complement these easy turkey sliders can be potato chips, a veggie tray, a lettuce salad, mashed potatoes, boiled baby potatoes, french fries, or potato wedges.
Yes, if you have leftover turkey sliders, you can freeze them, however, when you do, it is a good idea to freeze them individually in separate pint-sized ziplock freezer bags, one or two turkey sliders per bag. That way it’s easier if you only need a couple at a time.
When it’s time to reheat them, take a turkey slider out of the freezer and remove the zip lock bag. Put the turkey slider on a safe microwaveable plate, heat it in the microwave for about 40 seconds, then check for the desired warmth. Repeat the heating process if needed.
Turkey sliders are a big hit on game day! It only a few minutes to assemble them, and just a few minutes in the oven. Turkey sliders are fast to prepare for weeknight dinners when you are running short on time.
📄 Final Thoughts
This Hawaiian roll turkey sliders recipe is so quick and so easy to make, with a wonderful combination of turkey and melted cheese brushed with melted butter and garlic powder on top. The melted cheese is so delicious on these Hawaiian sweet rolls, you’d think they should be called cheesy turkey sliders.
These little sandwiches are great to make for special occasions, celebrations, and birthday parties too. Assemble them the morning of (without the butter sauce applied), then right before or when the guests arrive, take them out of the refrigerator, brush the buttered topping on, then pop them in the oven, and bake for 15 to 18 minutes while you visit with your guests. Let the party begin!
🔪 More Recipes You Will Love
If you love this turkey sliders recipe, and you love making sandwiches, you will love these sandwich options:
- Egg Salad – You can make this easy and delicious egg salad recipe and serve it with chips and fruit, or spread it over crackers or lettuce and veggies. But most of all, it makes a terrific egg salad sandwich.
- Tuna Salad – Tuna and garlic powder together with diced red onions, and black pepper. When spread over green leafy vegetables and celery, or made into little sandwich squares, it’s a big hit at any party! It also makes for a fantastic tuna sandwich.
🌟 Recipe Card
Recipe for Turkey Sliders on Hawaiian Rolls
- 12 King's Hawaiian dinner rolls
- 12 oz sliced deli turkey breast
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut the Hawaiian rolls lengthwise in half.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the bottom part of the rolls on the baking pan all touching each other. Set the tops aside for now.
- Layer the sliced deli turkey breast evenly over the rolls.
- Lay the provolone cheese across the top of the turkey breast overlapping each one.
- Place the tops back onto the rolls over the provolone cheese.
- In a safe microwaveable bowl, melt the butter for 20 seconds, then stir in the garlic powder.
- Brush the melted butter and garlic powder across the top of the Hawaiian rolls.
- Put into the oven and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 18 minutes until the cheese melts and the tops of the rolls are lightly browned. Keep an eye on them while they are in the oven.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, then cut the turkey sliders apart.
- Cover with aluminum foil if you prefer the tops of the rolls to be a little bit softer. Remove the aluminum foil during the last 5 minutes of baking.
*️⃣ Recipe Notes
- You can use any of the deli turkey breast meat choices such as sliced, shaved (really thin), or if you have any leftover Thanksgiving turkey or chicken from a previous meal.
- Foods that go great with turkey sliders can be a lettuce salad, potato chips, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, potato salad, fresh vegetables, or baked potato.
- You can put bacon bits, yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, or mayonnaise inside the turkey slider.
- Or lightly sprinkle seasonings in or over the top, such as coarse ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds.
- You can substitute with different meats such as shredded chicken, or deli ham.
- You can substitute different cheeses such as Swiss, maybe Havarti cheese, Colby, gouda, mild or sharp cheddar cheese, pepper jack, or even white cheddar cheese.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜