(Last Updated On: February 15, 2024)
The best part about this cheesy Instant Pot tortellini recipe is how easy it is to make. The recipe calls for simple ingredients, and dinner is done in less than 15 minutes of cooking time. In just a matter of minutes, you’ll savor the convenience of perfectly cooked cheesy tortellini, leaving you with more time to enjoy your meal and less time in the kitchen.
Make this Instant Pot tortellini pasta recipe a complete meal with buttered garlic bread and a baked potato. Other side dishes that go great with this easy meal are buttered green beans with lots of ground black pepper, buttered cauliflower, and a tossed green lettuce salad.
🍴 Key Ingredients
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 2 cans of Italian diced tomatoes – not drained – 14.5 ounces each
- 2 packages of three cheese tortellini – 12 ounces each
- 1 jar pasta sauce or marinara sauce – 24 ounces
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of water from the tap – not shown
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes – 14.5 ounces
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil (not shown)
👩🍳 How to Make Cheesy Instant Pot Tortellini (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Put Olive Oil and Ground Beef in Instant Pot
Put a little bit of olive oil (about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons) in the bottom of the Instant Pot, then add 2 pounds of lean ground beef to the pot. You can break up the meat beforehand with a flat spatula or wooden spatula before we turn on the Instant Pot.
Step 2. Set the Sauté Function
Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot. Ours is on the bottom left side. Chop up the lean ground beef while it is browning in the pot. Make sure to include the ground beef towards the bottom of the pot during the cooking cycle. After the ground beef is browned, drain any excess liquid grease, then discard the grease into the trash.
Step 3. Add the Pasta Sauce and Diced Tomatoes
Add the 24 ounce jar of pasta sauce, 2 cans of Italian diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces each), and 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces) together with the browned ground beef. Do not drain the diced tomatoes.
Step 4. Combine the Ground Beef, Pasta Sauce, and Diced Tomatoes
After you have added the pasta sauce and diced tomatoes together with the browned ground beef, give it a good stir until it is well blended.
Step 5. Add the Cheesy Tortellini Pasta
Open 2 packages of three cheese tortellini pasta (both 12 ounces each) and add them on top of the browned ground beef, pasta sauce, and diced tomatoes in the Instant Pot. Do not stir.
Step 6. Add the Water then Manual Cook
Add 2 cups of tap water on top of the three cheese tortellini pasta. Make sure each tortellini noodle is covered with water. You can push the pasta down a little bit so the water covers it, but do not push it down to the bottom of the pot. Do not stir as the cheese tortellini cooks. Cook the cheese tortellini pasta on manual cook for four minutes, then do a quick release.
Step 7. Give the Cooked Tortellini a Good Stir
After the quick release, remove the lid from the Instant Pot, then stir the tortellini pasta together with the rest of the ingredients.
Step 8. Add in the Cheddar Cheese
While the lid is off, put 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top of the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Do not stir the cheese together with the rest of the ingredients.
Step 9. Melt the Cheddar Cheese
Put the lid back on the Instant Pot while the cheese melts. It only takes a couple of minutes for the cheese to melt because the pot is still hot enough without turning it back on. Do not stir the melted cheese in with the rest of the ingredients.
To serve, leave the melted cheese sit on top of the tortellini pasta just the way it is, then scoop out this delicious Instant Pot pasta dinner right from the pot onto your plate.
🌟 Recipe Variations for Cheesy Instant Pot Tortellini
- Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, or Italian seasoning on your serving.
- Add some mild Italian sausage to this recipe. Instead of 2 pounds of lean ground beef, use half Italian sausage and half ground beef.
- You can use a slow cooker if you don’t have an Instant Pot. Just brown the hamburger in a frying pan on the stove, discard any liquid grease from the meat, and then add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, except the cheese tortellini and shredded cheddar cheese is at the end for 15 more minutes.
- Stir in a four ounce can of your favorite sliced mushrooms before adding the tortellini pasta.
🙋 FAQs for Instant Pot Tortellini
Put any leftover cheesy tortellini in an airtight container, then store it in the refrigerator. For a quick meal the next day, reheat the leftover cheesy tortellini in the microwave until hot.
Yes, you can freeze any leftover cheesy tortellini you didn’t eat. Put it in a freezer-safe container (a container that is safe for the freezer). It can be stored in the freezer for about five or six months. To reheat it, put it in the refrigerator the night before to thaw, then you can microwave it the next day until it’s hot enough to eat.
💡 Final Thoughts
This cheesy tortellini recipe is an easy dinner to make that the whole family can enjoy. When those busy weeknights creep up upon you, and you have no idea what’s for dinner, try making this delicious Instant Pot tortellini.
In conclusion, this cheesy tortellini recipe is a hearty meal that effortlessly combines simplicity with rich, indulgent flavors, making it a go-to choice for a quick and satisfying meal that does not compromise on taste. It’s perfect for cold weather, or a quick summer meal with a very cold tall glass of ice tea. Enjoy!
📂 Recipe Card
Cheesy Instant Pot Tortellini Recipe
- Put the ground beef in the Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Cook the ground beef until browned. Drain excess liquid grease.
- Add the pasta sauce and diced tomatoes to the browned ground beef. Mix until well blended.
- Add the tortellini pasta on top of the ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Add the water to cover the tortellini pasta. Do not stir.
- Cook on manual for four minutes, then do a quick release.
- Remove the lid and stir the ingredients.
- Add the shredded cheese. Do not stir.
- Put the lid back on the Instant Pot to melt the cheese. The Instant Pot is hot enough that it won't take very long for the cheese to melt.
💑 More Easy Instant Pot Recipes You Will Love
- This sweet and spicy chili made in the Instant Pot is the best chili ever. The recipe includes lean ground beef mixed together with brown sugar, assorted beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- I love this Instant Pot spaghetti with meat sauce. It is quick to make and seasoned with basil, oregano, salt, minced garlic, and thyme. The taste is superb.
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole (Instant Pot) – Throw the ingredients in the Instant Pot and let it do its thing. In about 36 minutes, you will be eating. So good!
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜