(Last Updated On: September 20, 2022)
Buttered cauliflower is a delicious side dish for many dinners with only three ingredients – cauliflower, butter, and pepper. Also, it only takes about 20 minutes to make this easy recipe. My mother-in-law used to make this yummy cauliflower recipe many times while she was still here with us, and I have carried on her tradition.
🏷️ Key Ingredients
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
👩🍳 How to Make Buttered Cauliflower (Step-By-Step Instructions with Photos)
Step 1. Prepare the Cauliflower
To begin with, remove the leaves from the cauliflower. Then cut the core out of the bottom center and discard it. Next, cut the head of the cauliflower in half, then separate each floret by hand or by cutting them apart. Try to cut medium-sized florets, otherwise smaller ones could fall apart easier while boiling. Also at this time, if you prefer, trim off any unwanted stems, although it won’t hurt to leave some of the stems on.
Step 2. Cook the Cauliflower
Put the cauliflower florets into a pot of water. The water level should be covering the top of the cauliflower. Then, turn the burner on high heat and bring the water to a boil. After the water starts boiling, turn the burner down to medium-high, then cook the cauliflower for 15 minutes. You can also check for doneness with a fork. The fork should easily slide into the cauliflower.
Step 3. Add the Butter and Pepper
After cooking the cauliflower for 15 minutes, put the cauliflower in a colander in the sink and drain all of the water out of the pot. Then, put the cauliflower back into the pot and add 1/2 cup of butter and 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper together with the cauliflower and let the butter melt on medium heat.
Step 4. Stir All Together
The last step is to carefully stir the butter and black pepper together with the cauliflower. Be careful not to mush up the cauliflower. Cook on medium heat while the butter is melting and until all of the ingredients are heated through.
Cauliflower is a vegetable that is naturally high in fiber and B-vitamins making it extremely healthy to consume. It is also a good source of antioxidants, high in choline, rich in sulforaphane, and an overall great source of nutrients that people generally need more of in their diets.
Some other options to add to this recipe are minced garlic and parmesan cheese.
📄 Final Thoughts for this Recipe
Buttered cauliflower is delicious and quick to make as a side dish that can be served with many meals. Try it with meatloaf, or fried beef eye of round steak, or baked salmon. This is a low-carb side dish that pairs well with many dinner recipes.
💙 More Side Dish Recipes You Will Love
- Potato Salad with Eggs and Mustard – This easy potato salad recipe is made with only 9 ingredients that probably already in your kitchen.
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges – These potato wedges are made crispy in the air fryer with some olive oil and special seasonings.
- Mac and Cheese – This mac and cheese is made with 3 different kinds of cheeses and broiled for 5 minutes.
- 1 head cauliflower (medium-sized)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower.
- Cut the core out of the bottom center and discard it.
- Cut the head of the cauliflower in half.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- In a pot, cover the cauliflower florets with water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 15 minutes. Check for doneness with a fork.
- In a colander, drain all of the water out of the cauliflower.
- Put the cauliflower back into the pot and add the butter and black pepper.
- Stir carefully and cook on medium heat while the butter melts and until all of the ingredients are heated through.
- Buttered cauliflower is a quick, simple, and delicious side dish to add to your dinner menu.