(Last Updated On: August 16, 2022)
This recipe for eye of round steak is a tasty steak, especially with the right seasonings and simmering it until it is super tender. It is easy to make, just season, brown, then simmer for a few hours.
Key Ingredients for Recipe for Eye of Round Steak
- About 4 medium-size beef eye of round steak
- 1 tablespoon of 100% pure Canola cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of Johnny’s seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Step-By-Step Eye of Round Steak Instructions With Photos
Add 1 tablespoon of 100% pure Canola cooking oil, or whichever is your favorite, to the frying pan together with 4 medium-size beef eye of round steaks.
Note: These steaks came straight out of the freezer because I decided at the last minute I wanted to make this for dinner, so if your steaks are already thawed, the browning time may take a little less than the 20 minutes mentioned below.
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of Johnny’s seasoning salt, together with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper over the top of the steaks. Fry the steaks on medium-high heat for about 20 minutes until they are browned, give or take a few minutes.
Every few minutes, keep turning the steaks over in the frying pan while browning them.
While the steaks are browning, poke the steaks in a couple of spots with a fork so the heat can cook the inside of the steaks.
Usually, steaks brown in about 20 minutes, but that could depend on the type of stove you are cooking on. If you have a gas, electric, or induction stove, keep in mind the difference in heat each one can produce.
You can serve the steaks now if you like your steaks cooked medium-rare. But if you want your steaks super tender, follow the remaining cooking instructions below.
Fill the frying pan with water to cover the steaks. Simmer for about 3 and a half to 4 hours. When the water level goes down in the frying pan, keep adding more water.
About 30 minutes before dinner time, let the water evaporate from the frying pan. Do not add more water.
The photo below shows the steaks have been simmering for about 3 and a half hours until they are so tender that you will not have to place a steak knife next to your dinner plate.
We have baked beans and chicken rice, canned corn, or corn on the cob together with our steak as a side dish.
Recipe for Eye of Round Steak
- Add the canola cooking oil to the frying pan.
- Add the beef eye of round steak to the frying pan.
- Sprinkle Johnny's seasoning salt, regular table salt, and pepper over the top of the steaks.
- Brown the steaks on medium-high heat for about 20 minutes. Keep turning them in the frying pan.
- Poke the steaks with a fork a couple of times so the heat can cook the inside of the steaks.
- After browning is done, fill the frying pan with water to cover the steaks.
- Simmer for about 3 and a half to 4 hours. When the water level goes down, add more water.
- About 30 minutes before dinner time, let the water evaporate from the frying pan. Do not add more water.
- You can cook the beef eye of round steak however you prefer, but the longer the steak simmers, the more tender it will be.
- When there is still a little bit of water left in the frying pan, you can toss some raw onions around the steak. Saute the onions for a few minutes to get the onions tender and hot.