(Last Updated On: September 20, 2022)
This is a healthy and flavorful steak kabobs marinade recipe made for grilling. A meal on a stick, well, you know, a meal on a skewer, also known as shish kabobs.
The steak is marinated in a sauce made of 13 different seasonings. This kabob marinade is quick to make and very flavorful. This post will explain how to make the marinade, and then we will show you how to put it together to make the most amazing steak kabobs ever!
After making the marinade, then, the steak kabobs are barbequed on the grill to perfection. Which only, by the way, takes about 8 to 10 minutes of cooking time, depending on how you like your steaks cooked. These grilled steak kabobs are put together with red and yellow peppers and red onions.
🍖 What’s in these Beef Steak Kabobs?
Sirloin steak marinated in a delicious seasoning sauce. Then the steak is threaded onto skewers with red onions and red and yellow bell peppers. The marinade sauce makes these steak kabobs so tasty!
🥩 Key Ingredients for Steak Kabobs Marinade
For the Marinade:
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
For the Kabobs:
- 3 pounds top sirloin steak – cut into 1-inch cubes
- Red bell pepper – 1 (seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Yellow bell pepper – 1 (seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 red onion – cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 metal skewers
One medium-sized yellow bell pepper, one medium-sized red onion, and one medium-sized red bell pepper. (See step 4)
👩🍳 Step-By-Step Steak Kabobs Marinade Instructions with Photos
Step 1. Marinade Seasonings
In a large zip lock bag, add 1/2 cup of olive oil together with 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Zip up the bag and then give it a good shake to mix it all up until well blended.
Step 2. Preparing the Steak
This recipe uses about 3 pounds of top sirloin steak, but you can use whichever steak you like the best.
Cut any unwanted fat off of the steak and discard, then cut the steak into one-inch cubes.
Step 3. The Steak and Marinade Seasonings
Place the steak inside the bag together with the marinated seasoning sauce. Lightly shake the bag until the marinade sauce covers all of the cubes of steak.
Put the bag of marinated steak into the refrigerator for at least one hour. You can marinate the steaks for up to 8 hours. We marinated our steaks for 6 hours.
Step 4. Cut Up the Veggies
While the steak is marinating in the refrigerator, cut up the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and red onion into 1-inch pieces. Place the red and yellow peppers and the onions in a bag, or leave them on a plate and put them in the refrigerator until needed.
Step 5. Assemble the Skewers
We used metal skewers, but you can definitely use disposable wooden skewers if you prefer.
After the steak is done marinating, carefully poke the skewer into the center of one cube of steak, one piece of red onion, and one piece of the red and yellow bell peppers until you have filled up one skewer. Leave a small space between the steak and vegetables so they can cook evenly.
After that, repeat putting the remaining steak, red onions, and red and yellow bell peppers on the rest of the skewers.
Do not discard the leftover marinade in the bag. We will use some of the leftover marinade over the assembled skewers in step 6.
Note: If you have any leftover steak, you can put them on another skewer by themselves. or if you have kids that don’t like the onions and peppers, you can just make the steak for them as we did.
Step 6. Place Skewers on the Grill
Lightly brush the grill with cooking oil.
Then brush the steak and veggies with some leftover marinade sauce one time, and place the skewers across the grates on the grill on high heat for about 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare. We grilled our steak kabobs for 10 minutes.
Note: Discard any remaining marinade sauce. It is not advisable to reuse marinade sauce due to any harmful bacteria left behind from the raw steak soaking in it.
While grilling, turn the kabobs every couple of minutes using your grilling tongs.
Continue to grill the steak kabobs until they look done to you. We cooked our steaks for 10 minutes, but, depending on your preferences, you may want to cook your steaks a little more or a little less.
Remove the steak kabobs from the grill and let the meat rest for about 5 minutes before serving. We have baked potatoes and fresh vegetables such as cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, radishes, and cauliflower as our side dish.
🙋 FAQs for Steak Kabobs Marinade
1. Can you reuse Marinade Sauce?
It is not a good idea to reuse marinade sauce due to the bacteria formed from the raw steak soaking in it. Discard any remaining marinade sauce in the trash.
2. Should I Marinate Kabobs before Grilling?
Yes because that’s where all of the fantastic flavors come from, the marinade sauce, and it also helps to tenderize the meat.
💭 Final Thoughts
These steak kabobs are so delicious you are going to want two of them. The marinated seasoning sauce along with the vegetables complement the sirloin steak for a delicious tasting dinner. Enjoy!
❤️ More Recipes You Will Love for After Dinner Desser
- Lemon Bars – These old-fashioned lemon squares are made homemade with a shortbread crust and with real lemon juice. Powdered sugar is added to the top after baking.
- Peach Cobbler – This classic peach cobbler recipe is made using Bisquick® baking mix, butter, milk, canned peaches, and cinnamon.
- White Nectarine Cake – A simple upside-down white nectarine cake recipe that is so easy to make. It is made with a sweet brown sugar crumble topping and lots of buttery nectarines on top.
Steak Kabobs Marinade for Grilling
- 1 BBQ Grill
- 10 skewers
- 1 Large zip lock bag for marinade
For the Marinade
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
For the Kabobs
- 3 lb top sirloin steak (cut into 1-ich cubes)
- 1 Red bell pepper (seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 Yellow bell pepper (seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 Red onion (cut into 1-inch pieces)
Marinade and Steak
- Put all of the seasoning ingredients for the marinade in a large zip lock bag.
- Zip up the bag and shake it up to mix.
- Cut the steak into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the steak into the bag of marinade sauce.
- Shake the bag to completely cover the steak.
- Put the bag in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour, but more than 1 hour is better, like up to 8 hours. We did 6 hours.
- While the steak is marinating in the refrigerator, cut up the red onion, and the red and yellow bell peppers into 1-inch pieces. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- When the steak is done marinating in the refrigerator, remove the steak from the bag and place it on a plate for easier handling.
- Push the tip of one skewer through the center of a piece of steak, red onion, red bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper.
- Leave a small space between each piece so they can cook evenly on the grill.
- Continue to fill the skewer with steak, onions, and the red and yellow bell pepper until the skewer is full.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the skewers and lay them on a tray or cookie sheet for easy carrying out to the grill.
- Do not discard the leftover marinade just yet.
- Preheat the grill and lightly brush the grill with cooking oil.
- You can brush all of the skewers one more time with the leftover marinade sauce, then discard the rest of the marinade sauce in the trash can.
- Grill the steak kabobs on high heat for 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare or depending on how you like your meat cooked. We did 10 minutes. Turn them over a couple of times during cooking.
- When done to your liking, remove skewers with a tong. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Some other fruits and vegetables to add to these steak kabobs can be cut up jalapenos, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, and or grape or cherry tomatoes.
- Whatever you add to the skewer, make sure it is softer vegetables that can cook in the same amount of time as the meat.
- If you want to put cubes of potatoes on the skewers, they must be partially cooked first due to their slower cooking.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜