(Last Updated On: January 26, 2023)
Talk about a simple recipe! This homemade whipped cream is super easy to make and it beats, by a long shot, the taste of any pre-made whipped topping such as Cool whip in a tub or the canned stuff such as Reddi Wip that you buy at the grocery store.
With only three simple ingredients, heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract, you know exactly what you are eating. This homemade whipped cream is the perfect topping for all of your favorite desserts. It is so good on top of chocolate pudding, an Oreo chocolate milkshake, pumpkin pie, or pumpkin cheesecake. It also makes this Mississippi mud pie taste out of this world amazing. And you know that special chocolate pie you want to impress your guests with, top it off with some of this homemade whipped cream.
🍴 Key Ingredients
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar – same as confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
👩🍳 How to Make Homemade Whipped Cream (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Put Ingredients in a Bowl
In a medium mixing bowl, add 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream together with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Stir the ingredients a little bit so that when we use the electric mixer in the next step, the powdered sugar won’t go flying all over the place.
Tip: Make sure to buy the right type of cream. It should say heavy cream or heavy whipping cream on the container. It is also best to use very cold cream right out of the refrigerator. Don’t let the cream sit on the countertop top very long before you start this recipe. It helps even more if the bowl you use has also been chilled. Stick it in the freezer for a few minutes if you can.
Step 2. Whip the Heavy Cream Mixture
You can use an electric hand mixer or a heavy stand mixer. A whisk attachment works great if you have one.
For the best results, start out on low speed and gradually work up to medium-high speed until stiff peaks form in the cream mixture. While mixing the whipping cream, be sure to scrape the bottom and the sides of the bowl with a spatula to thoroughly blend all of the ingredients.
Note: The process goes from soft peaks at the beginning, to medium peaks until finally, firm peaks will form in the cream. Then with just a little bit more mixing, the cream will form perfectly stiff peaks, but still soft. This will take about 5 minutes or so, give or take a few. Watch the mixing time and the consistency of the soft peak stage. Don’t whip the cream too long or you will end up with butter and some liquid buttermilk.
Tip: If you so happen to not have an electric mixer or stand mixer, no problem. You can use a whisk, but I do have to say that using a whisk is a little harder on the wrists, but it can turn cream into whipping cream just fine, it just takes longer.
Step 3. Chill in the Refrigerator
Cover the homemade whipped cream with some plastic wrap and then put it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. If you leave it set out at room temperature for too long, it will melt, so to speak. In other words, it will be a liquid runny mess.
🌟 Recipe Variations
- You can use almond extract instead of vanilla extract for an almond flavored whipped cream.
- When you want to jazz up a birthday party or do something different for that special celebration coming up, get creative and add one additional ingredient to the whipped cream, some food coloring! Purple, red, pink, orange, or whatever color your imagination can conjure up! The whipped cream will look amazing!
Yes, you can freeze homemade whipped cream. First, put the whipped cream in an airtight freezer-safe container. It can be stored in the freezer for about 4 or 5 months.
You can put homemade whipped cream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two. Keep in mind that the whipped cream can lose some or all of its fluffiness. If you have any leftover whipped cream after a couple of days, put it in the freezer or toss it out.
💭 Final Thoughts
So, the next time you are needing some whipped cream, don’t buy the store-bought stuff, just put these three ingredients; whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract, in a bowl and start whipping up your own. You will not be disappointed and neither will your family.
This whipped cream tastes great on top of a bowl of strawberry shortcake, a cup of hot cocoa or hot chocolate, brownie trifles, an ice cream sundae, peach pie, or a bowl of fresh fruit! But the ultimate treat is when it’s put on top of pies such as apple pie, pumpkin pie, or pies with a cream filling inside! Yum! Your family will be telling you it’s the best whipped cream recipe they have ever eaten!
💑 More Favorite Treats For You
- Sugar Cream Pie Recipe (Classic) – You are going to love this pie! It is absolutely incredible tasting, just like a vanilla custard pie! The melted butter and cinnamon sugar on top of the pie is baked just right over the creamy filling. And it tastes even better with a dollop of homemade whipped cream on it!
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake – This is a super creamy dessert, with a crispy Oreo crust and a creamy cheesecake filling with crushed Oreo crumbs in it. And, the top of the Oreo cheesecake filling is covered in whipped cream and sprinkled with more crushed Oreo crumbs.
- Oreo Ice Cream Recipe – This ice cream has only four ingredients – heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk, and Oreo cookies. All you do is whip the heavy cream, add the sweetened condensed milk, and some vanilla extract, then add 35 Oreo cookies broken into pieces. After freezing it overnight, it is ready to go and so delicious!
📄 Recipe Card
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Hand mixer (electric)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- With the electric hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the whipping cream on low speed, then gradually work up to medium-high speed until stiff peaks form in the whipping cream. This should take about 5 minutes or so. While mixing, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
*️⃣ Recipe Notes
- Add almond extract instead of vanilla extract for an almond-flavored whipped cream.
- Whipped cream tastes great on top of ice cream, pumpkin pie, hot cocoa, and strawberry shortcake.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜