(Last Updated On: December 18, 2023)
If you are craving a traditional s’mores campfire treat, but you’re not planning a camping trip for a while, this chocolate chip s’mores cookies recipe will surely take care of that dilemma! Each bite you take is loaded with gooey marshmallows, lots of chocolate chips, and pieces of crunchy graham crackers.
As a matter of fact, these chocolate chip s’mores cookies are so amazing, you may end up taking them along on your next camping trip anyway, or maybe these ranger cookies, cream cheese cookies with sprinkles, or chocolate chip M&M cookies instead.
🍪 Key Ingredients
This is a big batch of chocolate chip s’mores cookies, approximately 58 cookies. You may want to cut this recipe in half, which will still make about 29 or 30 cookies, depending on the size you make them.
- 4 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter (melted)
- 9 whole graham cracker sheets of graham crackers (broken into pieces or crushed)
- 1 and 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups of light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of table salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
👩🍳 How to Make Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2. Combine the Flour, Salt, and Baking Soda
For the dry ingredients, put 4 and 1/2 cups of all purpose flour in a large bowl together with 2 teaspoons of salt, and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Mix until well blended. Set aside for now.
Step 3. Melt the Butter
Note: As the butter melts, keep an eye on it while it is in the microwave. Due to the fact that all microwaves are not the same, the butter could be melted before one minute is up. Some microwaves cook hotter and faster than others.
Step 4. Put the Melted Butter, Vanilla Extract, and Sugars in a Bowl
For the wet ingredients, put the melted butter and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract in a separate bowl together with 1 and 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, and 1 and 1/2 cups of brown sugar.
Step 5. Combine the Melted Butter, Vanilla Extract, and Sugar Mixture
Stir the melted butter and vanilla extract together with the granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Don’t forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Tip: If you prefer, you can use an electric hand mixer, or put the ingredients in a bowl of a stand mixer and use the paddle attachment that comes with it. Start out on low speed and gradually work up to a higher speed. Don’t use high speed, though, or cookie dough will go flying everywhere.
Step 6. Add the Eggs to the Butter Sugar Mixture
Put one egg at a time in the bowl together with the melted butter, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Stir after adding each egg.
Step 7. Keep Stirring until Blended
Stir the eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well blended into a creamy cookie dough.
Step 8. Add the Dry Ingredients to the Wet Ingredients
Slowly add the flour mixture we set aside earlier from step 2, together with the creamy cookie dough mixture. It is easier to mix the ingredients together (in the next step) when the flour is added a little bit at a time.
Step 9. Stir the Dry Ingredient and Wet Ingredients Together
Stir or mix with the electric mixer the flour mixture together with the creamy cookie dough mixture until well blended into a cookie dough.
Step 10. Add the Graham Cracker Pieces and Chocolate Chips
Break the 9 sheets of graham crackers into graham cracker squares. Then break the squares into pieces. After that, add 2 and 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips and the graham cracker pieces together with the cookie dough.
Note: If some of the broken pieces of graham crackers end up as graham cracker crumbs, that is totally fine.
Step 11. Mix by Hand not Electric Mixer
Mix all the ingredients for the cookie dough together with a spoon or spatula until it is well blended.
Note: Do not use the electric mixer at this time because it will make the pieces of graham crackers too small.
Step 12. Add the Mini Marshmallows
There are a couple of different ways to add the mini marshmallows. The easiest way is to add 1 cup of mini marshmallows together with the cookie dough, and then stir all together until well blended.
But, to make sure each cookie has at least two mini marshmallows inside, you can use a cookie scoop and fill it half full of cookie dough, then push a couple of mini marshmallows on top of the cookie dough.
Step 13. Add More Cookie Dough
After you have put two mini marshmallows into the cookie dough, then, cover the marshmallows with more cookie dough on top of each cookie to hide the marshmallows. Whether you choose the easy way or the cookie scoop way, the cookies will taste just as delicious.
Step 14. Line a Cookie Sheet with Parchment Paper
Cut a piece of parchment paper the size of the cookie sheet. Try to form the dough into cookie dough balls. Drop the balls of cookie dough on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. If you don’t have parchment paper, spray the cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Note: Parchment paper is amazing, for example, without it, the cookies will spread out more than you want them to, making the cookies thinner. Also, without parchment paper, the cookies will bake a bit faster, leaving the bottom and the edges of each cookie darker brown than you want them to be.
Step 15. Bake the Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies
Put the cookie sheet in the oven with the cookie dough balls on it and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes until the edges are slightly browned. After that, using heat-resistant oven mitts, remove the cookies from the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for about 2 to 3 minutes. Trying to remove them sooner from the cookie sheet will break them apart because the cookies are very soft right when they come out of the oven.
After 2 to 3 minutes on the cookie sheet, place the cookies on a cooling rack, also known as a wire rack, for about the same amount of time, a couple of minutes so they can completely cool.
Store the cookies on the countertop at room temperature in a cookie jar that is also an airtight container, or in a container with a lid on it. No lid? No problem. Just use plastic wrap or aluminum foil to cover the container. If you like cold cookies, you can store them in the refrigerator.
Note: Ovens can vary in temperature, so for the best results, be cautious of the baking time, and always keep an eye on the cookies while they are baking in the oven. Baking our cookies at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes was perfect for us, but all ovens are not the same. For example, some ovens can be hotter than other ovens. This can cause the cookies to burn or turn dark brown on the bottom and around the edges.
🌟 Recipe Variations
- Sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on the top of each cookie right when they come out of the oven.
- Drizzle a couple of thin straight lines of melted chocolate at an angle on each cookie after baking.
Usually, a recipe will specify whether the cookie dough needs to be put in the refrigerator before baking. If the recipe says to put the cookie dough in the refrigerator before baking, then do so.
In this chocolate chip s’mores cookie recipe, we did not put the cookie dough in the refrigerator and we had no problems. However, putting the cookie dough in the refrigerator will not hurt anything, so you can if you want to. Also, if you are not ready to start baking the cookies yet, it is okay to refrigerate the cookie dough until you are ready.
S’mores are usually made by the campfire, and they consist of two squares of graham crackers, a piece of Hershey’s chocolate bar, and a large marshmallow.
The first step is to toast the marshmallow over the campfire to get it toasty hot and golden brown. Once the marshmallow is done cooking over the fire, the s’more is assembled by placing the toasted marshmallow and a piece of Hershey’s chocolate in between the two squares of graham cracker. The final step is to squeeze the two squares of graham crackers together to squish the toasted marshmallow, and the heat from the marshmallow melts the chocolate.
All the ingredients that are in s’mores are in these chocolate chip s’mores cookies we are making today, plus more. The mini marshmallows, pieces of graham cracker bits, and chocolate chips are mixed into the cookie dough, which are the main ingredients of a campfire s’more.
💡 Final Thoughts
We love this s’mores chocolate chip cookie recipe with mel- in-your-mouth chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and graham cracker pieces inside each cookie.
It’s a soft and chewy cookie with an amazing taste, making them one of my favorite cookie recipes. I know you are going to love these chocolate chip s’mores cookies as much as we do. Enjoy!
🗂️ Recipe Card
Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for about one minute.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, add the softened butter together with the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix until blended.
- Slowly add the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips and the crumbled-up graham crackers. Mix into a cookie dough.
- Add the mini marshmallows to the cookie dough until well blended. Or use a cookie scoop and put a couple of mini marshmallows into the cookie dough then cover with more cookie dough.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop the cookie dough by the spoonful (or a cookie scoop) onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookie at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack for about 2 minutes until completely cool.
💑 More Easy Cookie Recipe Favorites You Will Love
We love making cookies, so here are some of our favorite recipes we’d like to share with you that we are sure you will love as much as we do:
- These dark chocolate cookies are irresistible, with dark chocolate chip chunks in every bite.
- These sea salt chocolate chip cookies are so delicious. Made with basic ingredients plus unsweetened cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and light brown sugar. After baking, they are sprinkled with a pinch of sea salt on the top of each cookie.
- You can make these sugar cookies right now if you have butter, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in your kitchen. Simple to make, and taste so good! The icing is powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜