(Last Updated On: June 2, 2022)
Are you craving a campfire s’mores treat but you’re not going camping for a while? Well, this recipe for s’mores cookies with chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and crushed-up graham crackers inside of each cookie will surely take care of that dilemma! These cookies are so amazing, you may end up taking them along on your next camping trip anyway. 😉
What’s in these S’mores Cookies with Chocolate Chips?
All of the ingredients that are in s’mores are in these cookies plus more. How exciting is that? The basic ingredients are flour, salt, baking soda, butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. And the exciting ingredients are chocolate chips, graham crackers broken into pieces, and one full cup of mini marshmallows! Yummy!
Key Ingredients for S’mores Cookies with Chocolate Chips
This is a big batch of cookies, approximately 58 cookies. You may want to cut this recipe in half which will still make about 29 or 30 cookies, depending on the size you make them.
- 4 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 4 sticks of butter (softened)
- 1 and 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups of brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 and 1/2 cups of chocolate chips
- 9 full cracker sheets of graham crackers (broken into pieces or crushed)
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows
Step-By-Step S’mores Cookies with Chocolate Chips Instructions with Photos
Step 1. Preheat the Oven for S’mores Cookies with Chocolate Chips
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2. Combine the Flour, Salt, and Baking Soda
In a medium-sized bowl, add all of the dry ingredients – 4 and 1/2 cups of flour together with 2 teaspoons of salt, and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Mix until well blended.
Step 3. Soften the Butter
In a small bowl that is safe for the microwave, soften four sticks of butter for about one minute. If you need to use a measuring cup, four sticks of butter are equivalent to 2 cups of butter. Keep an eye on the butter in the microwave since all microwaves are not the same, some cook hotter and faster than others.
Step 4. Combine the Softened Butter, Sugars, and Vanilla Extract
In a large bowl, add the wet ingredients together – the softened butter together with 1 and 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, 1 and 1/2 cups of brown sugar, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
Stir the softened butter together with the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy.
Step 5. Add the Eggs
Put 4 eggs, one at a time, in the bowl together with the softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
Mix the eggs, softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until well blended.
Step 6. Add the Dry Ingredients to the Wet Ingredients
Slowly add the flour mixture together with the butter, sugar, and egg mixture. It is easier to stir the ingredients together when the flour is added a little bit at a time.
Stir with a spoon or spatula the flour, butter, sugar, and egg mixture all together until well blended.
Step 7. Add the Graham Crackers and Chocolate Chips
Add 2 and 1/2 cups of chocolate chips and 9 full cracker sheets of graham crackers together with the cookie dough. Break the graham crackers into pieces or crumble them, whichever you prefer. We broke them into pieces.
Mix it all up together with a spoon or spatula until it is blended into cookie dough.
Step 8. Add the Mini Marshmallows
There are a couple of different ways to add the mini marshmallows. The easiest way is to add 1 cup of mini marshmallows together with the cookie dough and then stir all together until well blended.
Or you can use a cookie scoop and fill it half full of cookie dough, then push a couple of mini marshmallows into the center of the dough.
Then cover the marshmallows with more cookie dough to hide the marshmallows. Whether you choose the easy way or the cookie scoop way, the cookies will taste the same.
Step 9. Line Cookie Sheet with Parchment Paper
Cut a piece of parchment paper the size of the cookie sheet, then use a cookie scoop or a spoon and place the cookie dough on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
Note: Parchment paper is a must. for example, without it, the cookies will spread out more than you want them to making the cookies thinner. Also, the cookies will bake a bit faster, leaving the bottom and the edges of the cookie darker brown than you want them to be.
Step 10. Bake the S’mores Cookies with Chocolate Chips
After the 2 to 3 minutes on the cookie sheet, place the cookies on a cooling rack for about the same amount of time, a couple of minutes so they can completely cool.
Note: Always keep an eye on the cookies while baking them in the oven. All ovens are not the same, some ovens can be hotter than other ovens, hence burning the cookies or baking them too brown on the bottom and around the edges.
FAQs for S’mores Cookies with Chocolate Chips
1. Does the Cookie Dough Need to be Refrigerated Before Baking?
Usually, a recipe will specify whether or not the cookie dough needs to be put in the refrigerator before baking. If the recipe says to put the cookie dough in the refrigerator before baking, then do so.
In this s’mores cookie recipe, we did not put the cookie dough in the refrigerator and we had no problems. However, putting the cookie dough in the refrigerator will not hurt anything so you can if you want to. Also, if you are not ready to start baking the cookies yet it is okay to refrigerate the cookie dough until ready.
2. What is a S’more?
A s’more is usually made by the campfire and it consists of two squares of graham crackers, a piece of Hershey’s chocolate, and a large marshmallow. The first step is to toast the marshmallow over the campfire to get it toasty and hot. Once the marshmallow is done cooking over the fire, the s’more is assembled by placing the toasted marshmallow in between the two squares of graham cracker with a piece of Hershey’s chocolate. The final step is to squeeze the graham crackers together to squish the toasted marshmallow and chocolate while the heat from the marshmallow melts the chocolate.
We call this cookie recipe a s’mores cookie because it has mini marshmallows, crushed-up graham crackers, and chocolate chips mixed into the cookie dough which are the main ingredients of a campfire s’more.
I love these s’mores cookies. They are amazing with melted chocolate chips inside, gooey mini marshmallows, and crumbled-up graham crackers making them one of the yummiest cookies in the whole wide world!
We love making cookies, so here are some of our favorites we’d like to share with you that we are sure you will love as much as we do:
- Chocolate chip M&M cookies for chocolate lovers. These cookies have lots of mini chocolate chips and M&M’s inside each cookie.
- Cream cheese cookies with sprinkles have a touch of cinnamon added and a chocolate chip surprise inside each cookie, so good!
- Sea salt chocolate chip cookies with cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and sea salt sprinkled on top of each cookie, yum!
- Ranger cookies with rolled oats, raisins, and rice crispies inside every cookie – these cookies are just the best!
Recipe for S’mores Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.
- In a small microwaveable bowl soften the butter for about one minute.
- In a large bowl, add the softened butter together with the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix until blended.
- Slowly add the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips and the crumbled-up graham crackers. Mix into a cookie dough.
- Add the mini marshmallows to the cookie dough until well blended. Or use a cookie scoop and put a couple of mini marshmallows into the cookie dough then cover with more cookie dough.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop the cookie dough by the spoonful (or a cookie scoop) onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookie at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack for about 2 minutes until completely cool.
- 4 sticks of butter are equal to 2 cups of butter.
- You can break the graham crackers into pieces or crumble them.
- The easiest way to add the mini marshmallows is to add them to the cookie dough. But you can add them to each cookie one at a time if you prefer.
- You should use parchment paper on the cookie sheet, without it, the cookies will spread out more than they should and they will be browner on the bottom and edges of the cookies.
- If you try to remove the cookies from the cookie sheet right after taking them out of the oven, chances are they will break apart because they are still soft and not set yet.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜