(Last Updated On: April 19, 2023)
Only 3 ingredients to make these healthy peanut butter bars with oatmeal – peanut butter, honey, and rolled oats, that’s it. And they are no-bake.
These peanut butter bars are a healthy little snack in the middle of the day when you need some extra get up and go, and the kids also love them as an after-school snack! It’s good to know that you are giving them something to snack on that is on the healthy side.
Note: This recipe does not call for a chocolate topping, but you can melt some chocolate chips in the microwave and put it on one-half side of the peanut butter bars for a little extra treat, explained below. After all, who doesn’t love chocolate! One of my granddaughters prefers these with chocolate while the other one prefers them without. You know it’s always good to have a choice.
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 3 cups of rolled oats
Step-By-Step Instructions With Photos
Mixing Peanut Butter and Honey Together
To start with, turn the burner on medium heat. Then, in a medium-sized pot, melt 1 cup of peanut butter with 1/2 cup of honey until it is smooth and well blended. Keep stirring the mixture as it melts.
Keep stirring as the peanut butter blends in with the honey. This will take a few more minutes depending on how hot your burner gets.
After the peanut butter and honey are thoroughly mixed, turn the burner off. Keep the pot on the burner as it will still keep the peanut butter mixture warm and smooth, making it easier to add the rolled oats in the next step.
Gradually add half of the 3 cups of rolled oats to the peanut butter and honey. It is easier to stir when the oats are added a little at a time. Keep stirring the mixture so it won’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
Add the remaining rolled oats to the peanut butter and honey. Mix until thoroughly blended.
Overlap a piece of aluminum foil in a 9×9 inch baking dish so the peanut butter bars can be easily removed from the pan, then spray the aluminum foil lightly with cooking spray so they won’t stick to the aluminum foil. You get the idea. Then with your hands, press the peanut butter mixture evenly into the baking dish.
Adding A Chocolate Topping To the Peanut Butter Bars
This part is optional. Put 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in a small microwaveable bowl.
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for 45 seconds. Take the chocolate chips out of the microwave and stir them. Put them back into the microwave and melt them again for 5 more seconds.
Spread the melted chocolate chips over the top of one side of the peanut butter bars. If you want more chocolate, go ahead and put the melted chocolate chips on both sides. You may need to melt more chocolate chips.
It is best to put the peanut butter bars in the refrigerator so they can become firm and the chocolate topping can set.
After chilling the peanut butter mixture for about 20 minutes, then cut about 16 squares. You can cut smaller squares since the peanut butter bars are quite filling to the tummy. After cutting the squares, they are best stored in the refrigerator so they won’t become too soft again. Another yummy dessert to try is lemon bars.
Peanut Butter Bars With Oatmeal
- 1 Baking dish (9×9 or 8×8 inch)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 cups rolled oats
- Melt the peanut butter and honey on medium heat until it is well blended together. Keep stirring.
- After blended together, turn the burner off. Gradually add half of the rolled oats to the peanut butter and honey. Mix together. Keep stirring.
- Add the remaining rolled oats. Mix together.
- Place aluminum foil in a 9×9 inch pan. Lightly spray aluminum foil with cooking spray. Press the peanut butter mixture evenly into the pan.
Optional: Adding A Chocolate Topping
- Melt 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for 45 seconds. Take out, stir, then melt again for 5 more seconds.
- Spread the melted chocolate on one side of the peanut butter mixture.
- Chill for about 20 minutes. Cut into 16 squares.
- Best stored in the refrigerator.
*️⃣ Recipe Notes
- Melted chocolate chips or any of your favorite chocolate can be put on half of the peanut butter bars.
- You can cut the squares into smaller pieces instead of 16 squares, for example, cut 20 squares. Each square is pretty filling.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜