(Last Updated On: June 7, 2023)
This easy-to-make teriyaki chicken fried rice recipe is so good that I could eat it just about every day! It is loaded with healthy choices such as canned premium chunk boneless skinless chicken breast, onions, scrambled eggs, peas, and carrots.
Our whole family loves this teriyaki chicken fried rice, especially my three granddaughters. We also love cheesy chicken rice casserole, spicy chicken stir fry, and chicken alfredo linguine. I guess you could say we love anything and everything made with chicken!
The ingredients listed below will feed about five people. This is a big batch of teriyaki chicken fried rice, so you will need a large skillet or large frying. If you have a deep skillet or a large wok that would work even better. You can also cut the recipe in half to make a smaller amount.
🍴 Key Ingredients
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice – which makes 3 cups cooked white rice
- 3 stalks of green onions (chopped)
- 1 can of premium chunk chicken breast (12.5 ounces)
- 1 ½ tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 packet of fried rice seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 can of peas and carrots (8.5 ounces)
👩🍳 How to Make Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Cook the White Rice
The first step is to cook the white rice. You need 1 cup of uncooked white rice to make 3 cups of cooked rice. Follow the cooking directions on the rice package then set it aside for now.
Step 2. Chop the Green Onions
Next, chop up the 3 stalks of green onions. Use all of the white and green parts of each green onion. You can cut the green onions any size you like, but we cut ours about 1/4 of an inch thick.
Step 3. Drain the Chicken and add Teriyaki Sauce
Drain the liquid out of the can of chicken. Break up the chicken pieces into thin strips in the can as best as possible. Add 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the teriyaki sauce to the can of chicken and stir it around a bit then set it in the refrigerator for now.
Note: Instead of buying store-bought teriyaki sauce, feel free to use your own homemade teriyaki sauce recipe if you have one.
Step 4. Beat the Eggs
Step 5. Heat the Skillet with Vegetable Oil
Put 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large skillet. Then heat the pan on high heat until the skillet is heating up. This won’t take long at all so stay by the frying pan the whole time.
Step 6. Fry the Rice
Next, put 3 cups of cooked rice in the hot frying pan, then fry for 2 to 3 minutes on high heat while stirring the rice.
Step 7. Add the Seasoning Packet and Soy Sauce
While the rice is browning, add 1 fried rice seasoning packet and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to the frying pan and stir together with the rice.
Step 8. Add the Chicken and Chopped Green Onions
Move the rice over to one side of the frying pan, then add the can of chicken and green onions to the frying pan. Cook the chicken and onion mixture for a minute or two and then mix together with the rice mixture. At this time, turn the burner down to medium-high heat.
Step 9. Add the Beaten Eggs
Move the chicken, onion, and rice mixture to one side of the frying pan, then add the 3 beaten eggs to the other side of the frying pan. Putting the eggs on one side of the pan makes for easier scrambling in the next step below.
Step 10. Scramble the Eggs
The next step is to scramble the eggs in the frying pan while tossing the chicken, rice, and onions around in the pan too so they don’t burn.
Step 11. Add the Peas and Carrots
After all of the eggs are scrambled, stir them together with the chicken, onion, and rice mixture. Push the mixture to the side of the pan, then add 1 can of peas and carrots. Heat the peas and carrots for just a few minutes.
Step 12. Stir it all Together
After the peas and carrots are heated, mix them together with the chicken fried rice until all is mixed thoroughly.
Step 13. Heat Until Hot
Cook the teriyaki chicken fried rice for a few more minutes over medium heat to get it warmed thoroughly to your liking. The teriyaki chicken fried rice is now ready to serve. Enjoy!
✨ Recipe Variations
- If you prefer, you can use brown rice instead of white rice.
- If you like hot and spicy foods, sprinkle just a little bit of red pepper flakes on your individual serving on your plate. Red pepper flakes are so good, but they are also hot, so go easy on them.
- You can cook your own chicken if you prefer to do so. Boil it, bake it, or fry it, then break it up into pieces and add it to this teriyaki chicken fried rice recipe.
- Use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or make your own rotisserie chicken at home.
- Leftover turkey after the holidays makes for a quick and easy teriyaki fried rice dinner.
- If you have any pork chop leftovers, cut them into bite-size pieces and add them to this fried rice recipe.
- Add some chopped red onion, garlic powder, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, or minced garlic.
- If you have a homemade teriyaki sauce recipe, you can use that instead of buying teriyaki sauce at the store.
What do I do with Leftover Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice?
You must put any leftover rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can serve the leftover fried rice for lunch or dinner the next day. Do not let it sit out on the countertop. Reheat the fried rice in the microwave until heated through.
Can I Freeze Leftover Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice?
When we have any leftover fried rice, we have it the next day for lunch or dinner. We have never tried to freeze leftover fried rice so I don’t know how it would taste after it has been frozen and then thawed.
💡 Final Thoughts
If you are looking for an excellent option for a quick and easy meal to make, look no further! This teriyaki chicken fried rice recipe couldn’t get any easier as it uses canned chicken, canned peas and carrots, and store-bought teriyaki sauce. After the white rice is cooked, it is as simple as frying all the ingredients together over high heat in a specific step-by-step process.
Whether you serve this teriyaki chicken fried rice on its own or as part of a larger meal, you will surely enjoy the unique rich Asian blend of chicken, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, chopped green onions, and vegetables tossed together with fried rice to create a satisfying and delicious dish.
💖 More Delicious Recipes You Will Love
- Chicken and Noodle Casserole (With Red Peppers) – We love this chicken and noodle casserole for dinner made with canned premium chunk chicken breast, creamy chicken soup, red peppers, and onions mixed together with macaroni noodles and topped with cheddar cheese.
- General Tso’s Chicken Recipe (Flavorful) – This General Tso’s chicken recipe is made with chicken breasts, flour, olive oil, General Tso chicken seasoning mix, sugar, and soy sauce. So delicious and tasty.
- Chicken and Broccoli Lasagna Recipe (Easy) – This chicken and broccoli lasagna is prepared with a creamy homemade Alfredo sauce of butter, minced garlic, heavy cream, black pepper, and parmesan cheese. The layers are sauce, rotisserie chicken, broccoli florets, lasagna noodles, and mozzarella cheese. So good!
🗂️ Recipe Card
Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice (Canned Chicken)
- Prepare the rice, then set it aside.
- Chop up the green onions. Use all of the white part and green part of the onions.
- Drain the liquid out of the can of chicken breast. Put the teriyaki sauce in the can of chicken breast.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Put the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Heat on high until the frying pan is heated up.
- Add the cooked rice to the hot frying pan and stir the rice for about 2 to 3 minutes on high heat.
- Add the fried rice seasoning mix and soy sauce to the frying pan and mix together with the rice.
- Move the rice over to one side of the frying pan. Add the can of chicken breast and the green onions. Heat the chicken and green onions for a minute or so, and then mix together with the rice. Turn the burner down to medium-high heat.
- Move the chicken onion rice mixture to one side of the frying pan. Add the beaten eggs to the other side and scramble them. Keep tossing the chicken rice onion mixture around in the frying pan too.
- When the scrambled eggs are done, mix the eggs with the chicken, rice, and onion mixture. Turn the burner down to medium heat.
- Push the mixture aside and add the peas and carrots. Heat the peas and carrots for a few minutes.
- Mix all of the ingredients together and cook until the fried rice is heated through.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜