(Last Updated On: April 29, 2023)
These pumpkin chocolate chip muffins are super simple to make and taste fantastic. They are moist muffins on the inside with all the flavors of fall plus the sweetness of a chocolate chip in just about every bite. Pumpkin and chocolate chips are a delicious combination.
These pumpkin muffins also make the whole house smell amazingly wonderful just like pumpkin pie, pumpkin Snickerdoodle cookies, and pumpkin cheesecake! We love pumpkin recipes and we know you are going to love this pumpkin muffin recipe too.
Two 12-cup muffin pans will be used in this recipe and will yield about 18 to 24 muffins, depending on how full you fill each muffin cup.
🎃 Key Ingredients
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of table salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 large eggs
👩🍳 How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Preheat Oven
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for this pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe.
Step 2. Add the Dry Ingredients to a Bowl
In a large bowl add 2 and 1/2 cups of all purpose flour together with 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1 cup of light brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of table salt.
Step 3. Mix the Dry Ingredients
Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients (the flour, baking powder, light brown sugar, and salt) with a spoon or spatula until well blended. Set aside until later.
Step 4. Melt the Butter
No microwave, no problem. Just set the butter on the countertop and let it soften at room temperature for about 15 minutes or until soft.
Step 5. Add the Wet Ingredients and Dry Ingredients Together
To make the pumpkin mixture add the melted butter to the bowl with the flour mixture we made earlier. Then add 1 cup of milk chocolate chips, 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, 1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin purée, 3/4 cup milk, and 2 large eggs to the large mixing bowl as well. Do not use the can of pumpkin that is used for pie filling.
Note: You can use a hand mixer (in the next step) if you prefer to do so, but if you do, it is best to add the chocolate chip after using the hand mixer.
Step 6. Thoroughly Mix the Pumpkin Mixture
With a spoon or spatula, combine the pumpkin mixture until well blended into the pumpkin chocolate chip batter.
Step 7. Prepare the Muffin Pan for the Pumpkin Batter
For the first 12-cup muffin pan (or muffin tin) put paper liners (cupcake liners) in each cup. After that, fill each paper-lined muffin cup 2/3 full of the pumpkin chocolate chip batter. Repeat filling a second 12-cup muffin pan. Also if you don’t have any paper liners, spray the muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil.
Note: If you prefer to do so, you can sprinkle some extra chocolate chips on top of the pumpkin batter after it has been poured into the muffin cups.
Step 8. Bake the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Put both of the muffin pans in the oven and bake the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 17 minutes until golden brown. We baked our muffins for 17 minutes. Just before the muffins are about done, you can test a muffin by inserting a toothpick in the center of a muffin and the toothpick should come out clean.
Place the muffins on a wire rack to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
🌟 Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe Variations
- For added flavor, add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the batter.
- Add a few extra chocolate chips to the batter. We used milk chocolate chips, but you can use any of your favorite chips such as dark chocolate chips, or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Use mini muffin tins to make mini muffins with mini chocolate chips, but if you do, the cooking time would need to be adjusted.
- Use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- If you love nuts, add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts.
- Try sprinkling a cinnamon and sugar mixture on top of the muffins.
Place the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins on the countertop in an airtight container, or a ziplock bag, or you can also cover them with plastic wrap. They should be good in the refrigerator for at least 3 days, then after that, they will start to lose quality, texture, and freshness.
Yes, you can freeze pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. They should last in the freezer for about 3 or 4 months. Put the muffins in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bags. The muffins thaw fast when they are left on the countertop for a few minutes.
💡 Final Thoughts
Don’t miss out on these moist pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Indulge yourself in this perfect fall treat which is versatile enough to be served at breakfast time, as a mid-morning snack, or as an after-dinner dessert. The combination of chocolate chips and warm pumpkin spice creates a flavor that’s irresistible for any time of day!
So the next time you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe, one with simple ingredients that are readily available in your kitchen, you simply must try out this recipe. These muffins also bake in just 17 minutes. They are definitely irresistibly delicious making them a baked treat the whole family will love.
🥰 More Recipes You Will Love
- Snickerdoodle bars are made with flour, baking soda, vanilla extract, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar, then sprinkled with a cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- These peanut butter bars with oatmeal have only 3 ingredients, peanut butter, honey, and rolled oats. For an extra treat, you can also spread melted chocolate chips on top of the bars, so delicious!
📄 Recipe Card
Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the flour, baking powder, light brown sugar, and table salt in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a bowl safe for the microwave for 40 seconds or until softened.
- Add the melted butter to the bowl with the flour mixture. Then add the milk chocolate chips, pumpkin pie spice, pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), milk, and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Put paper liners (cupcake liners) or use non-stick cooking spray in two 12-cup muffin tins. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with the pumpkin batter.
- Place both 12-cup muffin pans in the oven and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 17 minutes until golden brown or a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the baked muffins on a wire rack to cool.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜