(Last Updated On: February 16, 2023)
This is a delicious Instant Pot chuck roast recipe you can make in only 80 minutes of cooking time. It is an easy recipe to follow, and when it’s done, the chuck roast is so tender, and the added seasonings give it so much flavor. It is one of those classic recipes your whole family will love.
A melt-in-your-mouth boneless beef chuck roast that you and your family are going to love, especially the chef, with all ingredients cooked in one pot making the kitchen clean-up time a breeze. Some more easy one-pot dinners in our recipe collection are chili, spaghetti, cabbage rolls, and hamburger soup with cabbage and potatoes.
🍴 Key Ingredients
Beef and Vegetables
- 3 to 5 pounds of beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or your choice of vegetable oil
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 red potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 small bag of raw baby carrots
- A can of corn
- 1 can of green beans
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of table salt
About 3 to 5 pounds of boneless chuck roast will be sufficient for this recipe. This is a good-looking cut of beef we bought, with hardly any fat and it is nice and thick. We usually always buy the best cut of meat we can find.
👩🍳 How to Make Chuck Roast in the Instant Pot (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Add the Olive Oil to the Instant Pot
Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot. We used olive oil, but other vegetable oil can be substituted.
Step 2. Cut the Chuck Roast into Chunks
The next step is the cut the chuck roast into large chunks. We make them block-sized chunks and place the chunks of roast into the bottom of the pot.
Step 3. Brown the Chunks of Chuck Roast
Set the Instant Pot on sauté and brown the chunks of chuck roast on all sides for approximately 10 minutes. It is okay if some pink is still showing in the meat.
Step 4. Cut the Yellow Potatoes
In the meantime, while the chunks of beef roast are browning, wash the potatoes. Then, cut the Yukon gold potatoes in fourths leaving the skins on the potatoes.
Pro Tip: You can substitute your favorite kind of potatoes and remove the peeling if you want. For example, baby potatoes would be an easy alternative to use in this recipe.
Step 5. Cut the Red Potatoes
Do the same for the 3 red potatoes, cutting them into fourths and leaving the skins on, unless, as mentioned before, you can peel the potatoes if you prefer.
Step 6. Add the Potatoes to the Instant Pot
Place all of the potatoes over the top of the roast in the Instant Pot.
Step 7. Cut the Onion
Take the yellow onion and cut it into chunks. You can also cut the onions however you want to, but the smaller you cut them, the mushier they become.
Step 8. Add the Onions to the Instant Pot
Scatter the onions on top and all around the potatoes and together with the chuck roast in the Instant Pot.
Step 9. Prepare the Beef Broth
Let’s make the beef broth mixture. In a large bowl, mix 4 cups of beef broth together with 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
Then, add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper together with the beef broth mixture and pour the mixture over the chuck roast, potatoes, and onions.
Step 10. Cook the Chuck Roast
Now it’s time for the pressure cooking. Put the Instant Pot lid on, push the manual button on the Instant Pot, and then set it on high pressure for 70 minutes. For some models of Instant Pots, high pressure is the only option, but if you have a choice between a high and a low-pressure setting, choose high.
Step 11. Add the Carrots, Corn, and Green Beans
After the chuck roast has cooked for 70 minutes, let the Instant Pot do its natural release. Then, add 1 small bag of raw baby carrots, 1 can of corn, and 1 can of green beans together with the roast, potatoes, and onions. Let the carrots, corn, and green beans stay on top of the roast, potatoes, and onions.
Step 12. Cook for Another 10 Minutes
Put the lid back on the Instant Pot, then press the manual button and set it for another 10 minutes to make the raw baby carrots tender, and to heat the corn and the green beans.
If, however, you are using big long raw carrots, additional time will be needed to get the carrots done. Adjust the manual cook time by 15 minutes or so instead of 10 minutes, and then check to see if the carrots are tender. Or another option would be to cut the whole carrots into smaller pieces.
Step 13. Take the Lid off and Serve
After the last 10 minutes, do another quick release and take the lid off the Instant Pot. Then, the chuck roast is ready to serve.
✨ Recipe Variations
- After removing the roast and vegetables from the Instant Pot, add some flour or cornstarch to the beef stock that is left in the pot to make some flavorful gravy. Add enough flour or make a cornstarch slurry (cornstarch mixed with water) until the liquid is thickened to your liking. The beef stock has already been seasoned with the ingredients in this recipe, but you can add extra seasonings and extra beef broth to the gravy.
- Add other vegetables to the Instant Pot such as cabbage, asparagus, celery, or fresh whole green beans instead of canned.
- Exclude the vegetables from this recipe if you prefer to do so.
Put any leftover pot roast in the refrigerator for about 3 days. The next night for dinner you can reheat it in the Instant Pot for a few minutes just enough to get it hot. For the next couple of days after that, you can have roast beef sandwiches and your favorite soup for lunch or dinner. After that, either freeze any leftover roast for later use or toss it in the trash.
Yes, you can freeze the cooked meat part of the leftover pot roast for about 4 months or so in an airtight container that is safe for the freezer. I use ziplock bags. I freeze the leftover roast all the time, then, when I want some cooked roast beef, I bring out a package and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and the next day for lunch or dinner, we have roast beef sandwiches with mustard on them. So good!
However, I have never put the leftover potatoes, carrots, and green beans into the freezer after they have already been cooked in the pot roast, just the cooked roast by itself. So I can not say from experience how that would work out. It seems to me that after thawing the vegetables, they would be a bit on the mushy side though.
💡 Final Thoughts
This tender pot roast is ready to serve with a flavorful beef broth seasoning mixture, potatoes, carrots, corn, onions, and green beans. If you are looking for comfort foods, this is an easy recipe to make to satisfy that craving. And the best parts are it’s a meal in itself, it tastes fantastic, and there’s little time spent in the kitchen, except when it’s time to eat it. Don’t forget that it only takes a fraction of the time to cook in the Instant Pot as compared to cooking a beef pot roast in the oven. Enjoy!
💖 More Instant Pot Recipes You Will Love
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole (Instant Pot) – Made with chicken, cheddar cheese, chicken flavor bouillon, cream of chicken soup, garlic powder, onion salt, brown rice, and veggies and it is so good! We serve cornbread as a side dish.
- Flavorful BBQ Pulled Pork for Sliders (Instant Pot) – This pulled pork is so delicious because it’s made with boneless pork shoulder or butt roast, brown sugar, lots of seasonings, and fennel seeds.
📄 Recipe Card
Chuck Roast (Instant Pot)
- Cut the chuck roast in big chunks.
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot on saute. Brown the chuck roast for about 10 minutes. A little bit of pink can still show in the meat.
- Cut the potatoes and onion into chunks. Add the potatoes and then the onions to the Instant Pot. Skins are left on the potatoes, but you can peel them if you prefer to do so.
- Mix in a bowl the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, corn starch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture over the top of the onions, potatoes, and chuck roast.
- Set Instant Pot on manual for 70 minutes.
- After 70 minutes, add the raw baby carrots, corn, and green beans. Keep the carrots, corn, and green beans on top of the roast, potatoes, and onions.
- Set on manual for another 10 minutes. This will make the baby carrots tender, and heat up the corn, and green beans.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜