(Last Updated On: September 21, 2023)
This layered pistachio pudding dessert recipe is so amazing! It’s a sweet and creamy dessert that has a faint nutty pistachio flavor from the pistachio pudding. Sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips on top, and voilà, it becomes an absolutely fabulous dessert that can be served anytime of the year!
If you love layered desserts, then you must try these favorites of ours. Ultimate Mississippi mud pie is to die for, and so is no bake Oreo cheesecake which is loaded with chocolate, cream cheese, and Oreo cookies.
This pistachio pudding layered dessert has multiple layers of goodness. We start with a homemade pie crust for the base of the dessert, then the next layer is a cream cheese layer mixed with a little bit of whipped topping, and after that is a pistachio pudding mixture layer which includes milk. The last layer is whipped topping, and you can put mini chocolate chips on top if you prefer.
🔪 Key Ingredients
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of crushed walnuts (optional)
- 1 package of cream cheese – 8 ounces (softened)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 whipped topping – half of a 16-ounce tub (buy frozen – then thaw)
- 2 packages of instant pistachio pudding mix (3.4 ounces each)
- 3 cups of cold milk
- Whipped topping (other half of the 16-ounce tub)
- 1/2 to 1 cup of mini chocolate chips (optional)
👩🍳 How to Make Pistachio Pudding Dessert (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Preheat the Oven
Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2. Soften the Butter and Cream Cheese
Set the butter and the package of cream cheese on the countertop at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes so it can soften up a bit.
Step 3. Prepare the Dough
You will need a couple of mixing bowls for this recipe. To start with, in a large bowl, add 2 cups of all-purpose flour together with 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar and 1 cup of the softened butter.
Note: This is optional but if you prefer you can add 1 cup of finely crushed walnuts together with the flour, sugar, and softened butter. We didn’t because we have family memebers who don’t like walnuts.
Step 4. Form the Dough into a Ball
With a spoon or spatula, mix the flour, sugar, and butter until well combined, then form the dough into a ball. The easiest way to do this is to use your hands.
Step 5. Prepare the Baking Dish
Step 6. Spread out the Dough
Place the ball of dough in the baking dish. With your hands, press the dough evenly in the dish and also about halfway up on all sides of the dish too.
Step 7. Bake the Crust
Put the baking dish with the pie crust in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, or until the edges are a slight golden brown in color. After 20 minutes, remove the pie crust from the oven using heat-resistant oven mitts. Let the crust cool while we make the pie filling in the next steps below.
Step 8. Prepare the Pie Filling
In a large bowl, add 8 ounces of cream cheese together with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 cup of powdered sugar, and half of the tub of whipped topping (1 cup) to make the cream cheese mixture. Put the other half of the whipped topping in the refrigerator for now.
You can use any brand of whipped topping you prefer, such as great value from the Walmart or cool whip in the tub. Or you can make our homemade whipped cream instead of the whipped topping in the tub.
Step 9. Mix the Cream Cheese Mixture
With an electric hand mixer, food processor, or spatula, mix the cream cheese together with the vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and the whipped topping. Mix until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and fluffy. The cream cheese mixture will be the first layer that goes on top of the baked pie crust of the pistachio pudding dessert.
Step 10. Spread the Cream Cheese Layer on the Pie Crust
The cream cheese mixture will be the first layer. After the cream cheese mixture is well blended together, use a spatula to spread all of it on top of the pie crust we set aside earlier. Spread the cream cheese mixture as evenly as possible, including up the sides of the crust. Then, put it in the refrigerator for now to keep it cold while we make the pistachio pudding in the next step.
Step 11. Prepare the Pistachio Pudding
Take the 2 packages of pistachio instant pudding mix (3.4 ounces each) and add them together with 3 cups of cold milk. There are bits of crunchy pistachios already in the pudding mix, but you can always add more if you prefer to do so.
Step 12. Mix the Pudding and Milk
Keep stirring the pistachio pudding and milk mixture until it starts to thickened.
Step 13. Spread the Pudding Mixture Layer
The next layer is the pistachio pudding layer. Spread all the pistachio pudding mixture on top of the cream cheese layer.
Step 14. Spread on the Last Layer
Get the other half (1 cup) of the whipped topping out of the refrigerator that we used earlier, and spread the remaining one cup on top of the pistachio pudding layer.
Step 15. Sprinkle on Chocolate Chips – then Chill
The mini chocolate chips are optional, but if you prefer, you can sprinkle some on top of the whipped topping now. About 1/2 to 1 cup of mini chocolate chips should be enough. After that, put the pistachio pudding dessert in the refrigerator for about three hours before serving. This will ensure that the dessert will set and be firm enough before cutting it into serving sizes.
✨ Different Variations for Layered Pistachio Pudding Dessert
- After preparing the cream cheese mixture, throw a few mini marshmallows in with it.
- Add 1 cup of finely crushed walnuts, or crushed pistachio nuts or chopped pistachios to the homemade pie crust before baking.
- When you are short on time, use a premade cookie crust, graham cracker crust, or ready-made pie shell from the grocery store instead of the homemade pie crust.
- To make this delicious pistachio dessert even better, add some white chocolate chips on top of the last layer of whipped topping.
Keep any leftover pistachio pudding dessert in the refrigerator so the cream cheese and whipped topping doesn’t liquify. Put a lid on it, or a covering of aluminum foil. Do not use plastic wrap because that will stick to the whipped topping.
Pistachio pudding dessert freezes very well. Make sure to put any leftovers in an airtight container to avoid freezer burn. This dessert can be in the freezer for about three or four months and thaws quickly when needed. Cut into individual serving sizes before freezing for easier access.
💡 Final Thoughts
This layered pistachio dessert is an easy treat to make any time of the year, but especially for a special occasion or any family gatherings such as birthday parties, or graduation parties. It’s also the perfect dessert to make during the holiday season, especially a fun dessert for St. Patrick’s day because of the green color!
So the next time your sweet tooth is telling you to make a tasty treat, this easy pistachio dessert with pistachio pudding, cream cheese, and whipped topping is the one to make.
💑 More Easy Dessert Recipes You Will Love
- Mississippi Mud Cake – Delicious ingredients includes unsweetened cocoa powder, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and finely chopped pecans.
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake Bars – There are lots of good stuff in these no-bake Oreo cheesecake bars including cream cheese, Oreo cookies, powdered sugar, and whipped topping.
- Strawberry Lemon Icebox Cake – This strawberry lemon icebox cake is so good with whipped cream, powdered sugar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest, shortbread cookies, lemon creme cookies, and fresh strawberries.
📂 Recipe Card
Layered Pistachio Pudding Dessert Recipe
- Whipped topping (other half of the 16 ounce tub)
- 1/2 to 1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the flour, sugar, and softened butter to a large bowl. Mix thoroughly with a spoon or spatula. Then, using yours hands, form the dough into a ball.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the ball of dough evenly in the baking dish, including up the sides about a half of in inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Add the softened cream cheese, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and half of the tub of whipped topping to a large bowl. Mix the cream cheese mixture well.
- Fill the baked crust with the cream cheese mixture, then put it in the refrigerator while we make the pistachio pudding.
- In a large bowl, add the packages of instant pistachio pudding and the cold milk. Mix until thickened.
- Get the baked crust and cream cheese mixture out of the refrigerator and spread the pudding mixture on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Spread the remaining whipped topping on top of the pistachio pudding mixture.
- Sprinkle some mini chocolate chips on top of the whipped topping layer. (optional)
- Chill the dessert for about three hours to set properly.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜