(Last Updated On: September 20, 2022)
I love this soup! It has the best flavor that any chicken and dumplings soup can have, and we have the recipe right here for you. Basic ingredients, easy and simple to make, and it tastes so good.
With flour, salt, shortening, and of course water already in your kitchen, all you need to buy at the grocery store is chicken, chicken broth, and celery. So let’s get started and make these very yummy chicken soup dumplings!
Key Ingredients For Chicken Soup Dumplings
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 9 tablespoons very cold water
- 3 quarts of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 quart of water
- 1 Rotisserie chicken
- 2 celery sticks, diced
Step-By-Step Instructions With Photos
Making the Dumplings
In a bowl stir 2 cups of flour together with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 cup of shortening, and about 9 tablespoons of very cold water.
Then, using your hands, shape the flour mixture to form a ball. Also, the dough should not stick to your hands.
Put the dough on a cutting board or a clean countertop that is sprinkled with a dusting of flour.
Then, flatten out the dough with a rolling pin.
Next, cut the dough into small squares or strips about 1 and a half inches in size, although none of the squares have to be the same size. We are now going to call these little squares dumplings. Tip: Using a pizza cutter works fantastic to cut the dough into dumplings.
Preparing The Soup
Pour 3 quarts of low sodium chicken broth and 1 quart of water into a big pot. Add the diced celery.
Bring the liquid mixture to a boil and then start adding the dumplings to the liquid. Reduce the heat to medium or medium-high, depending on how hot your stove gets.
Cook the dumplings in the chicken broth liquid for about 12 minutes on medium or medium-high. Stir the dumplings occasionally so they won’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
Preparing The Chicken
Break up the cooked chicken into pieces and place it in a bowl for now.
Note: This recipe uses a rotisserie chicken bought from the store, which is the easiest way to prepare this recipe. Also with the extra added seasonings of a rotisserie chicken, using one for this recipe brings out a delicious flavor to the soup. But, if you want to cook your chicken at home, you certainly can. Tip: Another option when you want to make chicken soup dumplings is to use any leftover turkey you have from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Preparing The Chicken Soup Dumplings
After the dumplings have cooked for about 12 minutes on medium to medium-high heat, add the chicken to the dumplings and chicken broth liquid.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the chicken soup dumplings on the stove until you are ready to serve dinner.
Many folks love to sprinkle some black pepper on the top of their chicken and dumplings soup. With black pepper’s distinct flavor, and also known as the king of spices, it gives this soup an extra special spicy taste. A side salad and buttered rolls go excellent with chicken soup dumplings.
Chicken Soup Dumplings
- 3 qt low sodium chicken broth
- 1 qt water
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 celery sticks (diced)
- Making the DumplingsIn a bowl, mix together the flour, salt, shortening, and cold water.
- With your hands, shape the flour mixture to form a ball. The dough should not stick to your hands.
- Put the dough on a cutting board or a clean countertop that is sprinkled with flour.
- Flatten out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Cut the dough into small squares strips to form the dumplings. None have to be the exact same size.
- Preparing the SoupPour the chicken broth and water into a big pot. Add the diced celery.
- Bring the chicken broth liquid mixture to a boil and then start adding the dumplings to the liquid. Reduce the heat to medium or medium-high, depending on how hot your stove gets.
- Cook the dumplings in the chicken broth liquid for about 12 minutes. Stir occasionally so the dumplings won't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Break up the chicken into pieces and place it in a bowl. Set aside.
- After the dumplings have cooked for about 12 minutes, add the chicken to the dumplings and chicken broth liquid.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the chicken soup dumplings on the stove until you are ready to serve dinner.
- When you are making chicken or turkey for dinner, whether it is baked, fried, or boiled, make some extra. Then you can use the extra chicken to make this delicious chicken soup dumplings.
- A green salad, veggies, and or buttered rolls go well with this chicken soup dumplings meal.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜