(Last Updated On: September 26, 2023)
I love this classic chicken and dumpling soup and so will you! It’s a simple chicken soup recipe to prepare, with plenty of homemade dumplings and shredded rotisserie chicken in every bite.
It also has the best flavor that any chicken and dumplings soup can have. Furthermore, it’s perfect for those cold winter evenings when all you want to do is warm up. However, this delicious soup is not just for winter time, it can be served any time of the year.
For another comforting meal like this dumplings recipe, try our sweet and spicy ground beef chili made in the instant pot, but it can also be made on the stove. Or our hamburger soup with cabbage and potatoes, or maybe something you have never eaten, our milk soup with dumplings.
With basic ingredients such as flour, salt, shortening, and of course water already in your kitchen, all you need to buy at the grocery store is chicken, chicken broth, and celery.
🥣 Key Ingredients
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of table salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 9 tablespoons very cold water
- 3 quarts of low sodium chicken broth – (32 ounces each)
- 1 quart of water
- 1 Rotisserie chicken
- 2 celery sticks, diced
👩🍳 How to Make Chicken and Dumpling Soup (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Prepare the Dumplings
Step 2. Form a Ball with the Dough
Then, using your hands, shape the flour mixture to form a ball. Also, the dough should not stick to your hands, but if it does, put a dusting of flour on them.
Step 3. Place the Ball of Dough on a Working Surface
Put the dough on a cutting board or a clean countertop that is sprinkled with a dusting of flour.
Step 4. Roll out the Dough
Then, flatten out the dough. The best way to do that is to use a rolling pin.
Step 5. Cut the Dumpling Dough into Squares
Next, cut the dough into small squares about 1 and a half inches in size, although none of the squares have to be the same size. We are now going to call these little squares dumplings. Set the dumplings aside for now.
Tip: Using a pizza cutter works fantastic to cut the dough into dumplings.
Step 6. Prepare the Soup Base
Wash the celery and then dice it. Turn the burner on high heat. In a large pot, pour 3 quarts of low sodium chicken broth together with 1 quart of water, then add the diced celery. Bring the soup base mixture to a boil.
Step 7. Add the Dumplings to the Soup Base
With a spoon, drop dumplings, one at a time, into the soup base, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-high heat or medium heat, depending on how hot your stove gets. Keep an eye on the soup so the liquid doesn’t boil over the top of the pot.
Cook the dumplings in the chicken broth liquid for about 12 minutes on medium or medium-high heat. Continue to stir the dumplings occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
Step 8. Prepare the Chicken
This recipe uses a rotisserie chicken bought from Costco, which is the easiest way to prepare this recipe. Also, I think it is the best chicken to use because of the extra flavor you get with the added seasonings a rotisserie chicken offers. Using one for this recipe brings out a delicious flavor to the soup. But, if you want to cook your chicken at home, you certainly can. Another option when you want to make chicken and dumpling soup is to use any leftover turkey you have from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
The first step to preparing the cooked chicken is to shred it into pieces and place it in a medium bowl for now. You can pull the chicken apart into bigger chunks if you prefer.
Step 9. Add the Shredded Chicken to the Pot of Dumplings
After the dumplings have cooked for about 12 minutes on medium to medium-high heat, add the shredded cooked chicken to the dumplings and chicken broth liquid.
Step 10. Simmer Until Time to Eat
Reduce heat to a low simmer until you are ready to serve dinner. Any leftovers taste even better the next day.
🌟 Recipe Variations
- Add sliced or diced yellow onions to the soup base.
- Sprinkle some black pepper, fresh parsley, fresh thyme, or any favorite fresh herbs you love on top of the finished soup.
- You don’t have to prepare a whole chicken for this easy chicken dumpling recipe. You can also use any cooked chicken meat, whether it be boiled in water or baked skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
Put any leftover chicken and dumpling soup in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. The next day, reheat the soup on the stove top on low heat until heated through. The chicken and dumpling soup should be eaten within three to four days.
Yes, you can freeze any leftover chicken and dumpling soup. Put the leftovers in an airtight container that is safe for the freezer and store in the freezer for about three to four months. To thaw, put the container in the refrigerator the night before, then reheat it in a saucepan on the stove to your desired warmth.
💭 💡 Final Thoughts
This creamy soup is the ultimate comfort food to serve on a cold winter day. Many folks love to sprinkle some ground black pepper on the top of their chicken and dumplings soup. With black pepper’s distinct flavor, and also known as the king of spices, it gives this soup an extra special spicy taste.
A side salad, canned biscuits (or buttered rolls) along with this chicken dumpling soup recipe will make this meal a family favorite for sure. It’s an easy recipe to prepare, with plenty of fluffy dumplings and delicious shredded chicken in a tasty soup base that’s sure to please everyone!
💖 More Great Recipe Ideas You Will Love
- This Korean style ground beef is made with browned lean ground beef, minced garlic, brown sugar, minced ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, and green onions. Then served over a bed of cooked white rice and topped with sesame seeds.
- The ingredients for ground beef Philly cheesesteak includes red bell peppers, yellow onions, lean ground beef, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and Italian blend shredded cheese all spread on buttered toasted hoagie rolls. So good!
- This chicken and noodle casserole with red peppers also includes cooked macaroni, chopped onions, butter, cream of chicken soup, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and chunks of premium chicken breast baked. It is made in one casserole dish. A delicious meal in itself.
🗂️ Printable Recipe Card
Chicken and Dumpling Soup (Easy Recipe)
- 3 quarts low sodium chicken broth (32 ounces each)
- 1 quart water
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 celery sticks (diced)
- Making the DumplingsMix the flour, salt, shortening, and cold water in a bowl.
- With your hands, shape the flour mixture to form a ball.
- Put the dough on a working surface that is sprinkled with flour.
- Flatten out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Cut the dough into small square strips about 1 inch by 1 and 1/2 inches to form the dumplings. They don't have to be the exact same size.
- Preparing the SoupPour the chicken broth and water into a big pot. Add the diced celery.
- Bring the chicken broth liquid mixture to a boil. Start adding the dumplings to the liquid. Reduce the heat to medium or medium-high, depending on how hot your stove gets.
- Cook the dumplings in the chicken broth liquid for about 12 minutes. Stir occasionally so the dumplings won't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Break up the chicken into pieces and place it in a bowl. Set aside.
- After the dumplings have cooked for about 12 minutes, add the chicken to the dumplings and chicken broth liquid.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the chicken dumpling soup on the stove until you are ready to serve dinner.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜