(Last Updated On: May 10, 2022)
You are going to love this General Tso chicken recipe. It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, a little hot, and it’s full of tasty flavor. You can serve it over white rice, or have your rice on the side. Topped with sweet peas adds to the already delicious flavor.
Key Ingredients for General Tso Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 packets of General Tso chicken seasoning mix by Sun Bird
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
Step-By-Step General Tso Chicken Instructions With Photos
With a sharp knife, cut the 6 chicken breasts into bite-size chunks.
Then, put the cut chicken breasts in a large size zip lock bag.
Add 1/2 cup of flour to the bag together with the cut-up chicken breasts. Shake the chicken around in the bag with the flour so the flour gets on all of the chicken pieces.
Put about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in the bottom of the frying pan together with the flour-coated chicken breasts.
Fry the chicken breasts on medium-high heat for about 45 minutes until there is no pink showing. Stir occasionally.
Making the Sauce
In a medium-size bowl put the two Sun Bird General Tso chicken seasoning mix packets together with 1 and 1/2 cups of water, 6 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 1/2 cup of sugar.
Add the seasoning sauce together with the chicken in the frying pan.
Simmer the chicken and sauce mixture for about 10 minutes on medium heat until the seasoning sauce thickens.
When we have this meal for dinner, we serve the general tso chicken over a bed of white rice and topped with sweet peas. Also, side dishes can be mac and cheese, a lettuce salad, fresh vegetables, or steamed broccoli, squash, and zucchini. After that, it’s a definite treat for us to have some delicious and comforting peach cobbler with Bisquick® for our dessert.
General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks.
- Put the cut chicken breasts in a large zip lock bag.
- Add the flour to the bag with the chicken and shake the chicken around so the flour gets on all of the chicken pieces.
- Add the cooking oil to the frying pan, then add the flour-coated chicken.
- Fry the chicken breasts on medium-high heat for about 45 minutes until there is no pink showing.
Making The Sauce
- In a bowl mix together the general tso chicken seasoning mix packets, water, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Add the seasoning mix to the chicken.
- Simmer the chicken and sauce mixture for about 10 minutes on medium heat until the seasoning sauce thickens.
- You can eat general tso chicken all by itself, or serve it over white rice and top it with sweet peas.
- Side dishes can be macaroni and cheese, a lettuce salad, fresh vegetables, and/or steamed assorted vegetables like broccoli, zucchini, and squash.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜