(Last Updated On: March 20, 2023)
You are going to love this General Tso’s chicken recipe. It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, a little hot, and it’s full of tasty flavor. You can serve it over white rice or have your rice on the side. Topped with sweet peas adds to the already delicious flavor. The best part is that it is super easy to make by using a Sun Bird seasoning packet already filled with all of the General Tso flavors!
Using seasoning packets to make a homemade meal doesn’t always taste the same as using all ingredients from scratch, but this Sun Bird seasoning packet really does a good job. If you are looking for a quick way to make some homemade general Tso’s chicken, consider giving this Sun Bird seasoning packet a try.
🍴 Key Ingredients for General Tso Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil such as olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 packets of General Tso chicken seasoning mix by Sun Bird
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
👩🍳 How to Make Easy General Tso Chicken (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Cut the Chicken Breasts into 1-Inch Chunks
With a sharp knife, cut the 6 chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
Step 2. Put in Zip Lock Bag
Then, put the cut chicken breasts in a large size zip-lock bag.
Step 3. Add the Flour
Add 1/2 cup of flour to the bag together with the cut-up chicken breasts. Shake the chicken around in the bag with the flour so the flour gets on all of the chicken pieces.
Step 4. Add Oil and Chicken to a Large Skillet
Put about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in the bottom of the frying pan together with the flour-coated chicken breasts.
Step 5. Fry the Chicken
Fry the chicken breasts on medium-high heat for about 45 minutes until there is no pink showing. Stir occasionally. The chicken should be golden brown when done frying.
Step 6. Make the Sauce
In a medium-sized bowl put the two Sun Bird General Tso chicken seasoning mix packets together with 1 and 1/2 cups of water, 6 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Mix this up so it is well combined.
Step 7. Add the Seasoning Mix to the Cooked Chicken
Next, add the seasoning sauce together with the chicken in the frying pan.
Step 8. Simmer the Chicken and the Sauce
Finally, simmer the chicken and sauce mixture for about 10 minutes on medium heat until the seasoning sauce thickens.
✨ Recipe Variations
- Garnish with some green onions and sesame seeds on the final general Tso’s dish.
- Add a bit of sesame oil with the seasoning sauce.
- Use dark meat such as boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.
- For extra spiciness, add some red chili flakes into the sauce mixture.
It is a Chinese-American dish that has a sweet and spicy sauce over fried chicken.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. After that, it is best to discard it.
💭 Final Thoughts
For a simple and easy Chinese food meal to make at home, try this general Tso chicken using Sun Bird seasoning packets. It has comparable spicy flavors to what you would find at Chinese restaurants. This is definitely one of our favorite Chinese dishes to make at home. I cannot express enough what an easy recipe this is!
When we have this meal for dinner, we serve the general Tso chicken over a bed of white rice and topped with sweet peas. Also, side dishes can be mac and cheese, a lettuce salad, fresh vegetables, or steamed broccoli, squash, and zucchini. After that, it’s a definite treat for us to have some delicious and comforting peach cobbler with Bisquick® for our dessert.
🥰 More Recipes for You to Enjoy
- Spicy Chicken Stir Fry – A quick, nutritious, and delicious chicken stir-fry in a spicy seasoning sauce with added frozen vegetables and red pepper flakes, then served over a bed of white rice.
- Chicken Fajitas – Easy and delicious chicken fajitas recipe using McCormick’s seasoning packet.
📄 Recipe Card
General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks.
- Put the cut chicken breasts in a large zip lock bag.
- Add the flour to the bag with the chicken and shake the chicken around so the flour gets on all of the chicken pieces.
- Add the cooking oil to the frying pan, then add the flour-coated chicken.
- Fry the chicken breasts on medium-high heat for about 45 minutes until there is no pink showing.
Making The Sauce
- In a bowl mix together the general tso chicken seasoning mix packets, water, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Add the seasoning mix to the chicken.
- Simmer the chicken and sauce mixture for about 10 minutes on medium heat until the seasoning sauce thickens.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜