(Last Updated On: December 1, 2022)
With a slight crunch and a delicious taste, these red, white and blue Rice Krispie treats will surely let freedom ring! They are easy to make and very festive; a perfect treat to serve on Independence Day or whenever you want to get patriotic!
These are made the same way as our Cocoa Krispie treats, except in this recipe we use regular Rice Krispies cereal instead of Cocoa Krispies cereal. We also use food coloring in this recipe to make the red, white, and blue layers.
🚀 Key Ingredients
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal (divided into 3)
- 14 oz mini marshmallows (divided roughly into 3)
- 3 tbsp butter (divided into 3)
- Red and blue food coloring
🧨 How to Make Red White and Blue Rice Krispie Treats (Step-by-Step Instructions with Detailed Photos)
Step 1. Divide the Rice Krispies and Marshmallows
First, evenly divide the Rice Krispies and marshmallows into three piles (one for each layer and color). All three piles should have two cups of Rice Krispies and about two cups of marshmallows in each. Divide the butter into thirds, one tablespoon for each section.
Step 2. Melt the Butter
In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tbsp of butter over low heat, but don’t melt the butter completely. Add 2 cups of marshmallows together with the butter.
Step 3. Melt the Butter and Marshmallows Completely
Next, stir the marshmallows and butter (still on low heat) until they are completely melted, then remove the saucepan from heat.
Step 4. Add Food Coloring
Do not let the marshmallow mixture cool before adding the red food coloring. After that, mix the food coloring into the marshmallows and butter until it is fully red. If you want light red, put fewer drops of food coloring, and if you want a darker red, add more drops of food coloring.
Step 5. Add the Rice Krispies
Add two cups of Rice Krispies together with the marshmallows and butter. After that, mix thoroughly until the Rice Krispies are completely blended into the mixture.
Step 6. Put the Red Mixture in the Dish
After using cooking spray, spoon the red mixture into a 9×9 inch baking dish. Spread it out evenly, making sure that it covers the entire dish.
Step 7. Repeat the Process
Repeat the process of steps 1 – 5. This time, don’t add food coloring.
Step 8. Spoon the mixture into the Pan
Spoon the white mixture into the pan evenly on top of the red mixture. Again, make sure that it covers the entire pan.
Step 9. Repeat Steps 2 and 3
Then, melt the butter and marshmallows and stir them until completely mixed up.
Step 10. Add the Blue Food Coloring
Similar to step four, add the blue food coloring and stir until it is fully mixed. Again, similar to the red food coloring, if you want a darker blue, add more food coloring, and if you want light blue, add less food coloring.
Step 11. Add the Rice Krispies to the Blue Mixture
Much like steps 5 and 7, add the Rice Krispies to the blue mixture. Then, mix thoroughly.
Step 12. Let the Red White and Blue Rice Krispie Treats Set
Lastly, spread the blue Rice Krispies mixture over the white and red Rice Krispies mixture. Let the whole thing set in the dish at room temperature for about one hour.
Step 13. Cut the Red White and Blue Rice Krispie Treats
If you want to, you can use cookie cutters to cut the Rice Krispie treats and make them into stars or a flag, or you could simply cut them into nine squares as we did.
🎆 FAQs for this Recipe
When Should I Cut my Rice Krispie Treats?
It is best to wait an hour before cutting the Rice Krispie treats to let the marshmallows and the butter cool completely.
Can I Freeze Rice Krispie Treats?
Yes, you can freeze Rice Krispie treats for up to three months in an airtight container. Make sure to put wax paper in between each layer to prevent them from sticking.
✨ Final Thoughts
These 4th of July Rice Krispie Treats are a delightful dessert to serve on Independence Day! With a festive mood, these Rice Krispie Treats are also sure to give you a good time!
❤️🔥 Other Recipes You Will Love
- Birthday Trifle Cake with Sprinkles – This birthday trifle cake is a fun layered cake in a trifle bowl. It has alternating layers of a super moist cake with sprinkles and a cheesecake cream cheese pudding mixture and is then topped with whipped topping, sprinkles, and cookies.
- Old Fashioned Fruit Salad with Cool Whip (Canned Fruit) – This old-fashioned fruit salad using cool whip is a sweet treat. It is made using cans of fruit cocktail, bananas, and cool whip or whipped topping. Easy to make and easy to customize!
- Homemade Marshmallow Easter Eggs – Easy homemade marshmallow Easter eggs that are covered with chocolate and sprinkles. These Easter eggs are super easy to make. They have a creamy marshmallow mixture inside, covered with melted green mint or melted chocolate on the outside, and topped with lots of sprinkles.
Red White and Blue Rice Krispie Treats
- Melt the butter and the marshmallows in a medium saucepan on low heat.
- Stir until melted and mixed completely. Remove from heat.
- Add red food coloring to the melted marshmallows and butter mixture.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the red mixture onto the 9×9 pan.
- Repeat steps 1-5, just this time, don't add any food coloring.
- Repeat steps 1-5 again, this time add blue food coloring.
- Set for one hour.
- If you want to, you can use a cookie cutter to shape the Rice Krispie treats into a star or a flag!
One of the smartest and most responsible little girls you’ll ever meet. Kylie is on the student council at school and loves being involved in all kinds of sports and activities. She published her first post at 10 years old and is looking forward to writing many more!
More by Kylie ➜