(Last Updated On: May 24, 2022)
Take your banana bread to a whole new level with this delicious chocolate banana bread with double the chocolate! Yes, double the chocolate with cocoa powder and chocolate chips!
You can enjoy this double chocolate banana bread for breakfast, lunch, or brunch, and certainly anytime in between for a pick-me-up snack in the afternoon or late evening.
What’s in this Double Chocolate Banana Bread?
There is cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and 3 mashed bananas in this recipe. Also, in this recipe is four ounces of cream cheese to make it super moist. And then the basic ingredients are flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla extract.
Key Ingredients for Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 ripe bananas – mashed
- 1/2 cup of butter – melted
- 4 ounces of cream cheese – softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of chocolate chips – in batter
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips – on top of the bread
Step-By-Step Double Chocolate Banana Bread Instructions with Photos
Step 1. Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2. Prepare the Flour Mixture – the Dry Ingredients
In a medium-sized bowl, add 1 cup of flour together with 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Stir the flour together with the brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well blended.
Step 3. Prepare the Banana Mixture – the Wet Ingredients
Mash the Bananas
In a different bowl, add 3 bananas. With a fork, mash up the bananas, but not totally into a creamy state. In other words, leave little tiny visible pieces of bananas.
Add the Butter
Melt 1/2 cup of butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Then add the melted butter together with the bananas. Stir together with a fork, spoon, or spatula.
Add the Cream Cheese and Vanilla
Soften the 4 ounces of cream cheese in the microwave for 20 seconds, then add the cream cheese and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract together with the banana mixture. Mix well.
Adding cream cheese to banana bread makes it a super moist bread.
Add the Eggs
Crack 2 eggs and add them together with the banana mixture then mix well.
Add the Milk
Add 1/2 cup of milk together with the banana mixture. Stir together with a spoon or spatula.
At this point, we have added all of the ingredients for the banana bread batter. Stir together with a spoon or spatula.
Step 4. Add Dry Ingredients to Wet Ingredients
Pour the dry ingredients – the flour mixture – together with the wet ingredients – the banana mixture.
Stir the dry ingredients together with the wet ingredients until blended.
Step 5. Add the Chocolate Chips
Add 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips together with the banana bread batter. The other 1/4 of a cup of chocolate chips is used later in step 7.
Mix the chocolate chips thoroughly together with the banana bread batter.
Step 6. Put Parchment Paper into Loaf Pan
Line one 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
Tip: When you use parchment paper, the banana bread won’t stick to it. Also, there is no need to flour the loaf pan or spray it with cooking spray. After baking, you can lift out the parchment paper and the banana bread comes right out of the pan so easily.
Step 7. Pour Banana Bread Batter into Loaf Pan
Pour the banana bread batter into the loaf pan.
At this time, you can sprinkle 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the top of the banana bread batter right now before baking, or you can wait until step 8.
Step 8. Bake in the Oven – Add the Remaining Chocolate Chips
Place the loaf pan in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until inserting a toothpick in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Note: As mentioned in step 7, you can add the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips then, or you can sprinkle them on after the banana bread has baked for about 20 minutes in the oven, which is shown in the photo below.
FAQs for Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Can You Put Chocolate in Banana Bread?
Yes, you can put chocolate in banana bread. Many banana bread recipes add cocoa powder and chocolate chips as part of the ingredients. Chocolate adds an amazing flavor to the banana bread, an extra treat so to speak.
What else can You put in Banana Bread?
You can add raisins or other dried fruit, shredded carrots, chocolate chips or white chocolate chips, cocoa powder, or nuts, such as walnuts, to a banana bread recipe, and of course, cream cheese. You can also add the chocolate chips to banana bread even without adding the cocoa.
This double chocolate banana bread is so moist and chocolaty. It’s easy to make and tastes so delicious. Whether you serve this double chocolate banana bread warm or cold, this treat is sure to be a big hit with your family and friends.
For your next breakfast, snack, or any time during the day or night, warm up a slice of double chocolate banana bread and lightly dust it with powdered sugar on the top. Doesn’t that sound wonderful? Enjoy!
Want another banana bread recipe? Try this super moist banana bread recipe that also includes chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and cream cheese.
Easy Double Chocolate Banana Bread with Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (on top of the bread)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well blended. Set aside for now.
- In a different bowl, mash up the bananas with a fork.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Then add the butter to the bananas and mix well. Set aside.
- In a different bowl, soften the cream cheese in the microwave for 20 seconds. Add the cream cheese and vanilla extract to the banana mixture. Mix well.
- Add the eggs to the banana mixture, then mix well.
- Stir the milk into the banana mixture.
The Dry and the Wet Ingredients
- Pour the flour mixture (dry ingredients) into the banana mixture (wet ingredients) to make the banana bread batter. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips to the banana bread batter. The other chocolate chips will be used later as the topping.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour the banana bread batter into the loaf pan.
- Note: You can sprinkle the chocolate chips (for the topping) on top of the banana batter now (before baking) or sprinkle them on after the banana bread has baked for about 20 minutes in the oven.
Bake in the Oven
- Place the loaf pan in the oven and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
A wife, a mother to a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to three granddaughters. Flo loves sharing recipes passed down from her own mother, her mother-in-law, and her grandmother as well as new recipes created with her daughter, Tamara Ray.
More by Flo ➜